OPERATIONS AND RESILIENCE ADVISOR
CARE USA , Gaziantep, Turkey
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking an Operations and Resilience Advisor (ORA) who will advise CARE Turkey on strategies to work safely within their program environments, maintain accesses to program areas, reduce operational risks faced by staff and develop the capacity of national counterparts in the CARE Turkey SSU. This will be achieved by maintaining a pragmatic and operational posture that enables and supports CARE’s vision and mission in Turkey, whilst fostering an inclusive risk managed culture for health and safety amongst staff.
This post reports to the Country Director with close daily interaction and engagement with the Country Director and Senior Management Team, on which s/he is a member. The ORA will directly manage the CARE Turkey SSU.
S/he will manage the ongoing review, development and implementation of the Country Office Risk Management Plan and associated budget.
The Operations and Resilience Advisor will support and maintain safety advisories and operating procedures which are in line with the CARE International Principles. In supporting CARE Turkey to achieve its mission, the ORA will advise management on a range of best practices to reduce operational risk and prepare robust contingency plans for incident and crisis response.
The ORA will be expected to grow and maintain strong network links with key peer collaboration groups and individuals including counterparts in the region to ensure that CARE can maintain access to program areas. S/he will demonstrate a high level of socio-cultural, political and economic understanding of the context where CARE works.
S/he will be required to travel to operational areas (risk levels permitting), including potentially volatile locations to ensure the provisions of the Risk Management Plan are followed at field level. The ORA will support the development of appropriate localized plans and provide expert technical assistance to field staff where necessary.
- Management of the CARE Turkey SSU
- Analysis, Planning and Preparation
- Procedures and Protocols
- Incident and Crisis Management
- Capacity Building
- Advise and Report
- Promote cross regional collaboration, sharing of ideas and initiatives and operational best practice with Country Offices in MENA or the broader CARE network
- Any tasking as defined by the regional office or the Country Director CARE Turkey
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to humanitarian work or risk management or equivalent field / operational experience
- 5 years’ experience in assisting international organizations in developing countries to manage staff and program safety
- 5 years’ experience in working in an international organization
- 5 years’ experience in working in complex and hazardous environments
- Strong assessment, evaluation and planning skills
- Demonstrable expertise of Humanitarian risk management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong demonstrated inter-personal skills in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to make good judgment on staff safety and provide appropriate advice
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions
- Strong ability to analyze and understand complex situations and translate these into specific policy advice