Operations Specialist – Risk Education
CTG Global , Burkina Faso
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- In Burkina Faso, our client is based in Ouagadougou but is expanding its activities to the benefit of the communities & of the 5 UN Regional Offices in country. Following an evaluation mission to Burkina Faso in June 2019, our client aims notably at implementing training & explosive threat awareness sessions in the affected regions, to the benefit of the UN & humanitarian actors, as well as for field based agents from the Ministry of Security.
- Our client recognizes that in accordance with the agreement between CTG & themselves, CTG contracts provide increased flexibility for urgent operational deployments in remote areas where the deployment of UN personnel is not realistic, due to certain administrative requirements. Given this, PSC / Burkina Faso shall recruit a Risk Education Consultant with duty station, Ouagadougou in order to provide risk education activities. To perform this task, the incumbent will be traveling to very remote locations in Burkina Faso, where the security clearances for extended periods of time, could be an issue & very difficult for UN staff.
- Develop a risk education stakeholder mapping & needs assessment.
- Review existing weapons & explosive ordnance risk education materials.
- Provide technical advice & develop risk education materials tailored to IDPs, returnees, school children & conflict affected community needs in coordination with the different partners & with the designing contractor.
- Develop training plan & conduct risk education training to the Commission nationale de lutte contre la prolifération des armes légères (CNLPAL), national CSO's & others international organizations as required.
- Provide technical advice & support on the issue of risk education to key stakeholders in the regions.
- Support development of regional explosive hazard profiles to further tailoring of risk education messaging by region.
- Develop plans & provide guidance for the integration of risk awareness & risk education within the wider humanitarian response.
- Ensure consistency of risk education messaging & increase synergies within our client & with other relevant humanitarian actors & clusters responding to the humanitarian needs, through the mine action area of responsibility.
- Develop new initiatives relevant to risk education, including design of materials in cooperation with mine action & other protection actors.
- Provide relevant inputs for donor reports.
In addition to the functional responsibilities above:
- Development of a review & mapping of existing risk education activities & materials including gaps.
- Development of a work plan for risk education activities in Burkina Faso.
- Development of a training package to be delivered to humanitarian workers, public transport drivers, civilian’s society / associations organizations.
- Develop weekly, monthly & technical reports on risk education as required.
- This role reports to the Senior Project Coordinator.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 4 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Masters Degree or equivalent with 2 years of relevant experience OR Bachelors Degree or equivalent with 4 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in communication, education material development, project management or health promotion.
- 1 year of experience in risk education related to explosive hazards & small arms & light weapons are required
- Fluency in French & English is required (reading, speaking & writing).
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the objectives of the organizations accountability.
- To comply with the organization's rules & procedures.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Foresees risks & allows for contingencies when planning.
- Strong ability to analyse information & work under pressure.
- Speaks clearly & effectively, both orally & in writing.
- Consider all those to whom the insured services as "clients" & seeks to see things from their perspective. Establish & maintain productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust & respect.
Other relevant information:
- Internationally recognized driving license.
- Physically fit and in good health.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.