OPTI Policy Lead
Oxfam, Jawzjan, Afghanistan
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Oxfam Novib in OPTI is looking for a Policy Lead .
In collaboration with OPTI staff, all Oxfam affiliates and partners, develop and deliver Oxfam’s policy analysis relating to the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel (OPTI), playing an active role in making Oxfam an influential and leading voice on the complex situation, and forming the foundation for a dynamic, impact-driven wider Oxfam OPTI campaign strategy and action plan. The role works closely with the Advocacy and Campaigns Manager and leads Oxfam’s Policy in relation to OPTI, with a particular focus on ensuring the policy components of Oxfam’s programme work are delivered and strategically aligned with the OPTI Influencing Strategy.
The post holder reports to the Advocacy and Campaigns Manager and either matrix or line manages Policy and Campaigns officers (2-3 people). The post works in close coordination with the Media and Communications Lead.
Job Purpose - Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- · Lead on the production of Oxfam OPTI robust, rights-based policy analysis and positions, linked to the overall strategic aims of the country programme and the wider influencing strategy.
- Lead on monitoring and engaging in international policy discussions related to the Israel/Palestine context, and work closely with other national influencing / advocacy team members to develop insight and analysis on national level policy issues that link closely to our global work.
- Work with OPTI programme teams and partners to design and develop policy components in new project proposals (including budgets) to ensure that influencing plans are in line with Oxfam OPTI strategic priorities and capacities. Provide technical policy advice and guidance to Program Teams and partners as required for the implementation of policy components of projects, including for reporting, whilst ensuring they fit within Oxfam’s influencing strategy.
- Act as a link between Influencing and Programmes and Oxfam’s global policy work, fostering a collaborative ne Programme’ approach.
- Coordinate with Programme and Project Managers to line/matrix manage Influencing Officers in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, providing technical support and guidance and ensuring timely and quality project deliveries as agreed in the project contracts.
- Cover for the Advocacy & Campaigns Manager when required, including ensuring that Oxfam OPTI sign off protocols are strictly followed.
- Prepare high-quality policy briefings, letters and other materials for internal and external use, and represent Oxfam in lobby or coalition meetings when needed.
- Act as reference point and advisor to Oxfam staff at all levels – in country and outside – on policy issues related to OPTI and how they link to our programmes, including having oversight of risks related to policy positioning.
- Actively contribute to OPTIIS planning and review meetings, and engagement with colleagues on policy issues.
- Work closely with colleagues in country and outside to ensure coherent and dynamic policy and campaigning positions, linked to strategic country objectives.
- Support program delivery through provision of technical support to the Policy and Campaigns officer(s) and Program teams as relevant.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights .
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Five years' work experience, including policy influencing, networking and alliance building with other agencies (E)
- Education in social sciences to degree level, or equivalent. Post-graduate and other training qualifications an advantage.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, and ability to think/operate innovatively and strategically (E)
- Proven ability in developing and implementing advocacy strategies (E)
- Excellent representational and lobbying skills, and experience of advocacy with senior decision-makers. (E)
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Ability to write substantial pieces of analysis. (E)
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, to work unsociable hours as necessary. (E)
- Demonstrable commitment and experience in inter-community dialogue and appreciation of the relevance of identity issues in development and conflict.
- Personal qualities that ensure effective work with other people and self-management, management of others, including flexibility, respect for others, and sense of humour.
- Knowledge or Arabic and/or Hebrew would be highly desirable.
- Experience working in programming in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.