PANDA Assessment Officer in Ukraine
IMPACT Initiatives , Sevastopol', Ukraine
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT INITIATIVES AND IMPACT ACTIVITIES
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation was launched by ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT Initiatives to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention. The IMPACT Initiatives team comprises specialists who work across a number of portfolios (REACH, AGORA and PANDA) in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. This position is for an Assessment Officer to join the PANDA unit in Ukraine. PANDA provides independent consultancy services to humanitarian and development actors. The general objectives of assessments conducted under PANDA are increased effectiveness, efficiency and efficacy of aid, recovery and stabilization interventions.
We are currently looking for a REACH Senior Assessment Officer to support our REACH team in Ukraine.
Position: PANDA Assessment Officer
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Sloviansk, Ukraine
Starting Date: ASAP
CONTEXT AND OVERVIEW
In May 2020, the conflict in Ukraine entered its seventh year. The 427-km contact line that separates government- from nongovernment-controlled areas continues to experience daily ceasefire violations and disrupt the lives of people in surrounding areas. As highlighted in REACH’s Capacity and Vulnerability Assessment, the contact line has impeded access to employment and basic services for many living in the government controlled areas. Compounding these challenges, the outbreak of COVID-19 led to significant reduction in economic activity and the employment rate in Ukraine in early 2020.
To further understand these dynamics, IMPACT will conduct a series of assessments in 2021 focusing on women’s economic empowerment and the socio-economic status of conflict-affected populations in eastern Ukraine. These assessments will build on previous assessments conducted by REACH, including a labour market assessment conducted in 2017, recent Capacity and Vulnerability Assessments (2018) and upcoming Socio-Economic Resilience Assessment in the Azov Sea Area.
We currently have an open position for an Assessment Officer in Ukraine, seeking a professional with experience in developing and coordinating assessments in a development context. The ideal candidate will be eager to work in a dynamic organization with opportunities to build coordination skills whilst overseeing multi-sector assessments which inform the humanitarian needs overview and humanitarian response plan.
Under the functional supervision of the PANDA Assessment Manager in Ukraine and IMPACT HQ in Geneva, the Assessment Officer is responsible for supporting the planning, coordination, analysis and follow-up on assessments in Ukraine falling under the IMPACT portfolio. In his/her mission, the Assessment Officer will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the responsibility of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates. S/he and will fully abide to ACTED’s Security, HR, Administration and Logistics rules and regulations.
The Assessment Officer will be responsible to support the PANDA team in:
A. Assessment preparation and planning
- Drafting data collection instruments and data analysis plans in line with IMPACT tools and templates.
- Adjusting research design based on inputs from HQ, ACTED and development partners.
- Consulting internal stakeholders to ensure instruments are of a high quality and field-ready.
- Preparing materials for enumerator and team leader training sessions.
- Maintaining preparation and planning documentation, ensuring strict version control.
B. Research cycle management and coordination of data collection activities
- Coordinating, with the support of the field manager and field team leaders, the implementation of household surveys and key informant interviews.
- Contributing to enumerator and team leader training sessions in preparation for field.
- Monitoring and adjusting data collection strategies and tools based on feedback from the field.
- Ensuring overall quality of data and adherence to standard IMPACT processes.
- Providing regular updates on the status of the research cycle.
C. Report drafting and documenting the key steps of the research cycle
- Proofreading assessments and other key products to be released by IMPACT.
- Drafting presentations and other products on assessments results.
- Providing suggestions in terms of data visualization and data communication.
- Ensuring tracking of all feedback provided on products.
- Maintaining a log of lessons learned and best practices.
- Assisting in the planning of and participating in dissemination events. D. Provide M&E capacity to the assessment component of the REACH programme
- Support close compliance to M&E procedures of ACTED and IMPACT.
- Provide suggestions for improving of programme monitoring practices.
The Assessment Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to or collected during his/her assignment.
- Excellent academic qualifications.
- At least 2 years of relevant working experience in development or transitional settings, through either research, evaluation, assessments, or programmes.
- Prior experience in applied research, M&E, or assessment.
- Strong skills in quantitative research design and analysis.
- Skilled in clear, concise communication for drafting of effective reports.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility.
- Past experience in conflict affected regions is desirable.
- Fluency in English required, Russian language skills is highly desirable.
- Advanced skills Microsoft Word, Excel Software and Adobe InDesign.
- Skills in R or other statistical analysis software an advantage.
- Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles.
- Ability to work independently and manage people remotely.