Planning & Monitoring Specialist
UN Children's Fund, Italy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Research
Job organizational context
The Office of Research-Innocenti (OoR) is the dedicated research office of UNICEF. It undertakes and commissions research on emerging or current issues of relevance for children to inform the strategic directions, policies and programs of UNICEF and its partners. The Office explores emerging issues, identifies research gaps, brings together existing researchers, and supports or undertakes research and data collection to address critical questions and to inform global debates.
Purpose of the post
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Planning & Monitoring Specialist is responsible for undertaking the coordination and planning of the program of work and office workplan of UNICEF’s dedicated research office. The position offers an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic and growing office and to engage closely with researchers, policy-makers, practitioners and other actors who rely on evidence to improve outcomes for women and children. This position will strengthen the crucial functions of planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of research within the office, while also engaging with colleagues across UNICEF (including HQ, Regional and Country offices) to share the outcomes and impacts of the research function.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, the staff member will:
Undertake office wide planning and coordination
- Provide planning, coordination, management and monitoring support to the Office by following up on key corporate responsibilities; Support cross-office processes such as development of annual work plans, office wide budget, MTR and PBR submissions, annual impact and results reporting, and related planning products;
- Coordinates across all aspects of the office, in close collaboration with office management team, particularly chief of operations and budget associate. Develops, introduces and maintains planning work flows and tools to streamline work and to enable proactive and strategic identification of priority actions.
- Efficiently manage the high-volume work of the Director’s office by proactively and strategically establishing priorities, tracking priority actions and key decisions, and coordinating and guiding the work of others to meet agreed results. Supports the work of the Director’s Office, with a view to striking the right balance among competing demands and priorities;
- Undertake and/or coordinate substantive papers, documentation on programmes, etc. to strengthen the case for research that contributes to results and impact. Summarize and analyzes information for slide sets, and other strategic documentation, as requested;
- Keep abreast of the main issues facing the research office, identify internal and external issues that require the Directors attention, and assist in formulating options as to how those matters might be handled. Ensure appropriate follow-up as directed;
- Participate in meetings with task teams and external visitors as requested by the Directors. Prepare summaries, conclusions and action points on such meetings, as requested. Coordinates and /or monitors follow-up actions;
Undertake monitoring, evaluation, reporting and advance results-based management within the Office Support the Deputy Director, Director and members of the Office Management Team (OMT) in the monitoring of key programmatic and management processes and results and support the efficient and effective functioning of the Office. Ensure the effective functioning of the Director’s office;
- Apply results- based management (RBM) techniques to support programmatic coherence and oversight of resources to strengthen high quality research results.
- Oversee the development of donor reports and ensure these are completed in a timely way.
- Perform the role of Secretariat and coordinator of the Office Management Team (OMT), responsible for monitoring of actions and the follow-up mechanisms.
Support Office contributions to corporate exercises and ensure linkages and connections with other parts of the organization
- In consultation with OMT and other stakeholders, and under the guidance of the Directors, develop the Office of Research submissions to UNICEF MTR, PBR and Strategic Planning processes.
- Maintain efficient and smooth liaison with Headquarters and keep them timely informed of issues. Coordinate actions and liaise with DFAM, OED, DHR and others as needed.
Provide coordination for cross-cutting research project on Gender Responsive Age Sensitive Social Protection (GRASSP)
- Maintain a joint workplan and budget for the GRASSP program
- Under guidance of GRASSP lead, organize regular meetings of the GRASSP group, and capture key outcomes to drive progress and results.
- Develop quarterly progress reports and also annual donor reports. Collate inputs for donor briefings.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
Education: An advanced University degree is required in a relevant field
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience with international or non-government organizations;
- Experience in working with evidence, experience with research desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams across a variety of projects, and comfortable working in a multidisciplinary environment;
- Experience with fundraising and resource mobilization for research;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Staff supervision and management experience an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and commitment to UNICEF and its vision.
Fluency in English required; ability to work in a second UN working language highly desirable.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
- Leading and supervising (1)
- Formulating strategies/concepts (1)
- Analyzing (3)
- Relating and networking (3)
- Deciding and initiating action (2)
- Applying Technical Expertise (2)