Program Manager - Iraq
INTERSOS, Erbil, Iraq
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Program Manager
Duty station: Erbil in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) with regular visits to the project locations in Erbil Governorate, as well as ad hoc missions to other Iraqi Governorates, as necessary.
Starting date: 01/01/2020
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Country Program Coordinator
Supervision of: 1 Protection Manager, 1 Education Manager, 1 Field Coordinator
General context of the project
The Project aims to address the major protection gaps within KRI Governorate of Iraq (Erbil). INTERSOS aim to strengthen the protection environment for conflict affected populations (IDPs and Refugees,) intervening in Erbil district, including 4 refugee camps and urban areas. This initiative will provide comprehensive and holistic protection assistance packages to targeted individuals in order to mitigate protection risks as well as to foster self-resilience of affected individuals, with tailored assistance for highly vulnerable cases. Protection assistance includes protection monitoring aimed at identifying and referring vulnerable persons in need of case management or other services and collecting data on protection issues/incidents and trends to inform evidence-based advocacy; legal assistance (awareness, counselling, administrative and court representation) services including civil documentation, detention assistance and representation; full case management services for Persons with Specific Needs.
For vulnerable persons under case management, a package of internal specialized services such as psychological individual counselling, legal assistance, and structured PSS will be provided as needed; structured PSS targeting adults (particularly women and PWSN); awareness sessions on various protection topics and risks faced by the community including legal topics and HLP, general protection topics, availability of services. The project aims also to support the education for out of schools children and children at risk of dropping out. Intervention will target girls, boys, men and women among displaced and returnees communities in urban and camps targeted locations, with a mix of mobile and static interventions.
General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the position is to ensure the implementation of UNHCR funded project for refugees and IDPs in Kurdistan. The PM will be responsible of the activities planning and monitoring; ensuring the quality of implemented activities in compliance with donor's rules, relevant Standard Operating Procedures, Sphere Standards, International Principles and Guidelines, INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
He/she will also be in charge of staff supervision and evaluation, of ensuring a proper management of the allocated budget to achieve the planned objectives as per work-plan, of maintaining the relations with donor's representatives.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- · Supervision of Protection and Education managers in the implementation of activities
- · Budget proper management
- · Recruitment, training, supervision and evaluation of the project staff team, including identification of capacity building gaps and implementation of related training sessions.
- · Maintaining relations pertaining to the protection/education intervention in Kurdistan with the donor and key stakeholders at the governorate and field level.
- · Coordination with the other protection/education interventions in Kurdistan and Iraq.
- · Reporting for internal and external purposes
- More specifically:
- Project activities planning, implementation and monitoring
Preparing regularly update of project activities work plan and related financial plan with the contribution of the Managers ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined project strategy, as well as INTERSOS and donor guidelines
Guarantee the application of procurement procedures and donors rules for reporting and implementation
Periodic field visit to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with the internal and donors' standard
Preparation of proper and timely report to be submitted to the Country program Coordinator and to the donor.
In collaboration with M&E officer, develop tools to assess, analyse and evaluate the impact of the project, the evolution of the crisis and related evolving needs of target populations in the project areas.
Work closely with others PMs to ensure the integration of the project with other mission's ones and/or with other sectors of intervention
Managing budget properly to achieve the project's objectives. Supporting eventual budget and program revision.
Support the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and program, providing updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country, with special focus on the protection response to the IDPs and Refugees crises.
Identify capacity gaps in key national staff and support actively their capacity building.
Train, coordinate and supervise the managers and evaluate their performance.
Ensure the project's staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics
- Project reporting
Prepare the project narrative and support in preparing financial reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements.
Ensuring all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents are properly filled in and filed.
Contributing in preparing and submitting new project proposals
- Coordination and representation
Along with the Managers, establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donor officers, local authorities, local institutions, partners, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas
Participate in meetings with relevant donor's program and finance officers at central or field level following Country Program Coordinator guidelines. Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national, regional, governorate and field level as required.
Required profile and experience
- University Degree in human rights law, international relations, international cooperation, political sciences, humanitarian crisis or equivalent
- Professional Experience
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience with NGOs in Protection, Education project management.
- Technical experience in protection and/or education is an advantage
- Experience in coordinating staff, working in multi-cultural environment
- Previous working experience in Iraq or Kurdistan is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work within humanitarian context (advantage if experience with IDPs/refugees)
- Good understanding of protection, human rights law and international humanitarian law rights and international humanitarian principles
- Very good computer literacy (Word, Excel).
- Excellent analytical and Reporting skills
- Proven experience in managing staff
- Proven experience in managing projects (budget, procurement, logistic, HR)
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage
- Personal Requirements
- A high degree of flexibility and ability to work in insecure environment
- High confidentiality, respect and non-discrimination attitude.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility to spend extended amount of time in field visits