Program Manager (Stabilization and Transition)
DT Global , Washington, United States
DT Global is a fast-growing international development organization that focuses on improving the capability, capacity, and effectiveness of development programming in complex global environments. Working across a variety of sectors – including Economic Growth, Environment & Infrastructure, Governance, Human Development, and Stabilization & Transition - we provide world class program management, design, analysis, and monitoring and evaluation services.
Built on the strengths, knowledge, and 50+ years of experience from AECOM International Development, Development Transformations, and the Global Peace and Development Charitable Trust, we have a global ecosystem – including a non-profit partner, the DT Institute – working together to develop cutting edge solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. With corporate offices in the USA, Spain and Australia, in addition to project field offices in over 90 countries around the world, DT Global implements projects funded from a wide array of clients, including USAID, EU, DFAT, NC, MFAT, DFID and other public and private stakeholders. We value learning, research, and rapid program adaptation in response to changing realities on the ground. Together with our global team of experts, we are building technical capabilities across sectors in order to deliver high-quality interventions and transform lives around the world. For more information please see: DT Global.
The Program Manager (PM) will serve as an entry-level manager of the home office project management unit (PMU) overseeing DT Global research programs in Yemen. The objectives of these programs are to conduct monitoring and evaluation (M&E) services on behalf of DT Global’s prime implementing partner, including surveys, key informant interviews, focus group discussions, and routine context analysis to assess conditions in locations around Yemen and the outcomes of local stabilization activities.
The PM will lead a multifaceted team including a Research Analyst, M&E Specialist, and Local Data Collectors to design research plans, develop data collection tools, and oversee implementation of all M&E activities in the field. The position will coordinate closely with the prime implementing partner’s staff and local civil society partners to ensure research plans highlight activity outcomes and lessons learned for the donor agency. The PM will oversee the overall implementation plan, including multiple M&E activities across separate programs, and work to ensure delivery of expected outcomes on time. The position will also review research findings and backstop the Research Analyst with composition of reports that highlight key activity findings for the client.
The PM supports overall operational, contractual, and financial management of the program and management of field office staff. The PM will also play a significant role in business development from capture through live phases, including information gathering, technical approach, and partnering. The PM will report to the Project Director.
Project Delivery and Technical Excellence
- Responsible for day-to-day project management for the award through closeout, including contractual compliance, financial management, and oversight of project personnel and subcontractors.
- Manage one or multiple donor-funded projects and oversees day-to-day implementation to ensure their successful completion within budget and scheduled time frame, from award through closeout.
- Serve as a DT Global home office representative to USG clients throughout the project life cycle as needed, including regular correspondence regarding implementation progress; as-needed problem solving; and delivering presentations on the project to a variety of actors.
- Manage resources to foster collaboration of technical and program management experts.
- Monitor consultant and subcontractor performance.
- Take accountability for project processes including contractual quality assurance and compliance.
- Ensure that technical work plans are executed.
- Work to ensure project financial management and compliance, including overseeing accruals, pipelines, and cost-to-complete reports prepared for both DT Global and clients.
- Monitor project budgets, approves budget modifications, and ensure budgets are correct.
- Support PMU’s efforts to ensure financial goals are met.
- Support business development efforts from capture phase through live solicitation, which includes participating in pipeline discussions to determine bids to pursue.
- Lead proposal development, including technical approach, staffing, and partnering strategies and negotiations, and decisions on information gathering trips, and oversee cost development.
- Participate in scoping and information gathering trips for anticipated and live proposals and guide staff and consultants supporting research efforts.
Leadership and Staff Management
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior staff .
- Sets objectives and tasks for direct reports that provide growth and development.
- Evaluates individual performance based on fair criteria, provides regular and timely feedback to employees, acknowledging success and areas of improvement.
- Explains systems and procedures relating to the job to others, including new colleagues.
- Provides training and ensures new staff are properly prepared for the job they were hired to do.
- Set an example as a leader by holding yourself and others accountable, communicating professionally, being a team player, supporting the development of junior staff, and embodying DT Global’s values daily.
Learning and Innovation
- Proactively engage in self-driven professional development and growth activities.
- Contribute to DT Global’s learning agenda; and,
- Proactively incorporate learning best practices into all aspects of work.
Education and Experience, Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, including International Relations, Political Science, Government, Business, International Development, or a relevant combination of education and work experience required.
- A minimum of 4-7 years direct USAID or State Department project management and support experience, responsible for overseeing project implementation and business development initiatives.
- Substantial experience in managing international donor projects and extensive knowledge of donor regulations and policies (including AIDAR and FAR), especially as they relate to contracting and procurement.
- Solid background in managing programs, including complicated budgets.
- Proven experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to serve as in-country program manager in the event of a vacancy or absence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work independently and on a team.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills and attention to detail.
- Long-term field experience working outside the US, particularly in developing countries, required.
- Knowledge of U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and/or other relevant regions, or,
- Ability to travel and work overseas on short term technical assignments up to 25%, at times with very short notice.
- Experience living and/or working abroad;
- 2-years staff management experience;
- Fluency in Arabic preferred;
- Experience designing research instruments such as surveys and key informant interviews;
- Experience working with data collection platforms such as KoBo Toolbox;
- Experience working on previous development or conflict resolution programs in Yemen;
- Experience working with multiple donors (USAID, State Department, United Nations, or private foundations)
- TEAMWORK: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
- COMMUNICATION: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- ADAPTABILITY: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
- CUSTOMER/CLIENT FOCUSED: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
- DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.