European Commission's Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations, Venezuela
The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) is in charge of the European solidarity with people in need all around the world and aims to better coordination and disaster response inside and outside Europe. DG ECHO is based on the principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence. Every decision ECHO takes must be in accordance with these four principles which are at the heart of the
ECHO Country Office (CO) for Venezuela, based in Caracas, is looking for a Programme Assistant.
Education: A relevant first level university degree or equivalent professional experience. A post-graduate degree in Humanitarian Action / Development Cooperation will be considered a plus
Knowledge and Experience:
Demonstrate a minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience linked to humanitarian aid and/or development issues at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations, including 2 years of experience with an NGO´s, donor or national/ international organization.
Experience and knowledge on humanitarian assistance in Nutrition, Food Security or Water, Sanitation and Hygiene will be an asset.
Relevant experience in working in close coordination with national institutions will be an advantage.
Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards.
Good knowledge of international NGOs, UN Aid principles, policies and Standards will be considered an advantage.
Languages: Excellent command of English and Spanish (oral and written).
Job description: The incumbent serves as Programme Assistant in ECHO Office based in Caracas and carries out activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response.
· The job holder contributes to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of projects and proposals.
· S/he analyses and prepares reports on the humanitarian situation in the country/region, including any political, economic and security events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the country/region.
- Critically studies and comments upon partner´s reports and field operations and reports to line manager.
- Assesses and advises accordingly on the operational capacity of implementing partners.
- Accompanies or leads on field visits, as requested and may act as an interpreter if necessary.
- Assists the office in the event of an emergency response. Provides back-stopping and surge support capacity in case of need.
This position is open to nationals and other residents of Venezuela with valid work and residence permits.
DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities.
As a reference, the base salary offered to a person with 5-year experience (the minimum required for the post) is € 2,777.00 and it could be higher based on the years of relevant professional work experience supported by a work certificate from previous employers.
Furthermore the base salary, the employee will receive disability/retirement allowance as well as medical coverage.
Contracts will be ruled under the Venezuelan labour legislation.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any kind of influence in the qualification of the request will disqualify the candidate