Programme Manager Rwanda
Norwegian People's Aid, Rwanda
NPA commits to strive for a world free from discrimination based on gender, and firmly believes that gender equality needs to be at the core of our work. NPA carries out advocacy in Norway and internationally, in cooperation with our partners and other likeminded international organisations and networks.
Norwegian Peoples Aid is seeking a Programme Manager for our programme in Rwanda
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) has been working in Rwanda since 1995. The country office is based in Kigali. We support civil society organisations and citizens to participate in and impact the formulation and implementation of national and local policymaking, planning and governance. Civil society partners work at local and national level to use research, media engagement and advocacy to influence debates and generate dialogue between citizens, CSOs and decision makers. The programme has 24 staff and 8 report to the PM, and annual turnover of approximately 4.5 million USD.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Leadership of programme strategy development and management of the design, planning, implementation, monitoring, reflection and learning and reporting of the NPA Programme
- Focal person in the senior management team for context analysis as it relates to the work of NPA and partners in Civil Society
- Responsible to ensure that programme monitoring is adequate to track results and is actively used to inform learning and adaptive management.
- Development of fundraising documents, including concept notes, proposals and budgets, in collaboration with the Country Director and Finance Manager
- Active external networking and relationship building with partners, government, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the work of NPA, in collaboration with the Country Director
- Compilation of reports that capture programme achievements, analysis and learning
- Development and strengthening of partnership with civil society organisations and networks, in line with NPA values, objectives and partnership policy
- Lead the team on regular critical dialogue and reflection with partners, periodic assessment, support for coalition building and networking among partners, and support for capacity building of partners
- Budget management responsibility for the programme, in collaboration with the Finance Manager
- Leadership and management of programme personnel
- Responsible for good collaboration and communication by the programme team with finance and administration colleagues
- Active contribution to the overall monitoring and internal controls of NPA operations by the Senior Management Team
To be successful in this role you must have:
- At least three years’ relevant experience, and demonstrated success at senior level management in an international NGO or non-profit organization
- Previous international work experience
- Previous experience working within the civil society sector, preferably in Rwanda
- Knowledge and understanding of the Rwandan context is an advantage
- Demonstrated success in project designing, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Proven skills in budgeting, finance development and risk management
- Strong presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills with a high level of proficiency in the English language
- Experience in fundraising and donor relations and compliance
- Proficiency in French is desirable, but not a requirement
Competencies and abilities:
Collaborative and good people skills, while maintaining the focus on deliverables, timelines and quality.
In return we offer:
Well established programme with continued possibility for long-term funding, as well as with the opportunities for further expansion in terms of funding diversification.
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday *plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasise the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website a
Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
- Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Note that applications will be reviewed continuously, and we reserve the righ to call for interviews before the application deadline.