Programme Support Consultant. Muscat, Oman
UN Children's Fund, Masqat, Oman
SourIf you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
And we never give up.
For every child,Hope
Background and Justification
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
And we never give up.
Founded on a solid collaboration with the Government, UNICEF has contributed towards numerous achievements on children and women in Oman since 1971. Given the high-income status of Oman, the operational modality of UNICEF is a unique experience. The programme is of an upstream nature focused on providing support to the government in the areas of strategic policy development, institutional capacity building as well as development of state of the art models aimed at children’s development. The Government of Oman – UNICEF Country Programme is centered around two priority outcome areas:
- Enhancing Children’s Potential: By 2020, children of all ages have more equitable access to quality services in protection, education and health, and enhanced opportunities to realize their full potential.
- Making Data Work for Children: Data disaggregated by age, sex, disability, governorate and income are used effectively in planning, monitoring, policy and practice related to children and the Sustainable Development Goals
UNICEF Oman is made up of a small dynamic team whereby the Programme Support Consultants would be an integral part of the Programme team, assisting with varied tasks to support the smooth implementation of the country programme.
Purpose and Objectives
The main purpose of the Programme Support Consultant is to support the implementation of programme activities in the programme outcome areas, with partners in from the Ministry of Education (MOE), Ministry of Social Development (MOSD), Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Center for Statistics and Information (NCSI).
To achieve programme objectives, the Programme Support Consultant will work with the Programme Team, while also liaising closely with the Partnerships & Communication Team as well as the Operations Team. The Programme Support Consultant will report to the Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Associate.
Scope of Work – Tasks & Expected Deliverables
- - Secretariat for the Government of Oman – UNICEF Programme Management Group (PMG), tasks include:
• Supporting development of presentations and other background materials for meetings with the PMG
• Draft minutes during monthly PMG meetings
• Following up on identified actions
- Timely provision of background documentation and meeting minutes
- Timely follow up with counterparts on action points ensured
- - Overall Programme Support:
- Update tracking and monitoring sheet for activities
- Liasic with counterparts for coordination of programme activities to ensure smooth and timely implementation
- Follow up on the progress of specific activities as assigned by the Supervisor
- Provide timely minutes of meetings to ensure effective action can be taken
- Provide technical support with preparations for workshops and meetings including drafting of agendas, drafting and reviewing of presentations
- Provide logistical support and follow up for preparation of workshops, including coordination with the Operations Team on bookings, translation and printing of documents, and other requirements.
- Identify and extract information from various sources and prepare briefing notes and/or summaries for use in meetings, presentations or reports.
- Prepare briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; draft responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine questions.
- Contribute to the editing of documents in English and Arabic.
- Draft correspondence (in English and Arabic) based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for the supervisor's approval.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Tracking and monitoring sheet completed on a bi-monthly basis, shared with relevant staff and saved in common shared drive
- Meeting minutes and other documents produced shared with relevant staff and saved in common shared drive
- Timely organization of missions, workshops and meetings, including preparation of background information for Operations Team
- Workshops attended and timely briefs provided to the Supervisor
- Timely provision of background documentation
- All reports and deliverables submitted as per agreed dates/timeline
- Letters prepared, filed and shared with supervisor for approval.
- Any other tasks assigned are completed in a timely manner.
- The Programme Support Consultant will be required to report on a daily basis to the Supervisor. The Programme Support Consultant will be entitled to the same work hours, weekends & UN holiday schedule as UNICEF staff, based on the work schedule agreed with the Supervisor.
- The Programme Support Consultant will arrange his/her own insurance, such as life, health and other forms of insurance, covering the term of this contract when in Oman, and will provide proof of insurance.
- Any in-country travel related to a work assignment will be arranged for and covered by UNICEF.
- UNICEF will not provide the Programme Support Consultant with any equipment, unless it is approved by Operation Unit with the completion of the appropriate forms.
Qualifications & Specialized knowledge
- Completed undergraduate or higher university education in a field related to the UNICEF Country Programme priorities, or in the field of organizational development.
- At least 3 years of relevant professional work experience.
- Reasonable knowledge of Government of Oman laws, policies and programmes addressing children’s rights
- Knowledge of UNICEF’s mandate is considered an asset.
- Excellent, organizational, communication and writing skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment is essential.
- Sound knowledge of Omani culture, traditions and communication protocols.
- Fluent in English and Arabic.