Project Coordination Officer
UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Kabul, Afghanistan
The Regional Bureaux for Asia and the Pacific (RBAP) has been awarded a grant from the European Union to conduct a three-year-long project to provide support to Afghan refugees in Iran and Pakistan, and to returnees and internally displaced persons in Afghanistan. Covering the Islamic Republics of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan, the regional project was approved for a budget of EUR 52 million. Planned activities will be implemented across period (3 July 2018 ¿ 2 July 2021).
European Commission funding is channelled through the Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (DG DEVCO). The DG DEVCO is responsible for designing European development policy and delivering cooperation and development aid throughout the world. DG DEVCO is in charge of preparing thematic programmes, of policy development and of project implementation in the development sphere.
Overall coordination capacity for this project will be provided by this position, with the expectation that it will cover donor relations, reporting, visibility and public information and programme sub-functions. The project requires coordination among the three Country Offices (Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan), RBAP and DRRM Brussels; the government partners of the countries involved in the project; and the European Commission as donor (DG DEVCO). The project titled "Support to Afghan refugees in Iran and Pakistan, and to returnees and internally displaced persons in Afghanistan" will require remote support to project staff in all countries of the region, as well as close working relationships with UNHCR Country Representatives and other managers working in the region.
The incumbent will be based in Kabul, Afghanistan, as this country receives more than half of the contribution, and will conduct field missions as required. S/he will be the principal liaison point between UNHCR and the DG DEVCO Team working on this project, based in Brussels and in countries. S/he will also liaise with partners and other external stakeholders whose activities might be of relevance to the implementation of the project as these concern refugee protection. Under the direct supervision of the Snr Programme Officer based in Kabul, Afghanistan in close collaboration with the Senior Desk Officers, the incumbent will receive overall guidance from the Deputy Director of the RBAP¿s Central Asia and South West Asia (CASWA) unit. S/he will also liaise closely with Senior Programme Officer, Senior External Relations Officer based in Islamabad, Pakistan, the Associate Programme Officer based in Tehran, Iran and receive support and guidance from DRRM Brussels, i.e. on matters related to contract managemen, reporting and visibility issues.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Law, International Law, Political Science or related field.
- Minimum 6 years (5 years with graduate degree equivalent of a Master's or 4 years with a Doctorate degree equivalent to a PhD) relevant professional experience, including project management.
- Excellent understanding of UNHCR, its mandate, priorities, field operations and of relationships with donors.
- Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills to deal with the donor and staff members of different cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Excellent computer skills (Ms Word Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent knowledge of English including strong drafting skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Understanding of the European Commission¿s funding and reporting mechanisms.
- Previous experience working on projects funded by the European Union, including experience in donor relations and reporting.
- UNHCR protection, fundraising and programme management experience.
- Proven experience in refugee contexts.
- Exposure to UNHCR-specific learning/training activities.