Protection Coordinator - Lebanon
INTERSOS , Beirut, Lebanon
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Duty station: Beirut
Starting date: 18/02/2021
Contract duration: 1 year
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Protection Managers / relevant protection focal points
Dependents: Accompanied Duty Station
General context of the project
The position is responsible for overall leadership, coordination and technical support to maintain and expand Protection programming in Lebanon, which include Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Child Protection (CP), Psyco Social Support (PSS), Protection Monitoring and Legal components.
The Protection Coordinator will also be in charge of leading the development of the protection strategy and support the programme development at the national level.
General purpose of the position
The Protection Coordinator is responsible to (general duties):**
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the protection component of the different programs supporting the protection managers and specialists
- Providing technical support to Protection Staff of Lebanon Mission to build skills and expertise.
- Support the management of the Protection staff, in coordination with the PMs, HoB and Program Coordinator.
- Lead the definition of the Protection Strategy of the mission
- Play a key role in program development through contributions to new concepts and proposals (writing of the technical part and contributing to the design of the budget).
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the protection program (or protection component of the programs), participating also in the donor reporting.
- With the support of the Head of Mission, lead the representation in relevant technical forum and with relevant stakeholders on Protection aspects
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Provide a clear support and supervision and mentoring of the Protection team through regular field visit, meeting with the staff and the line managers.
- Ensure that the services provided in the different projects adhere to best practices.
- Support the integration of the Protection Programming with the other sectors, including Wash, Livelihood, Education, Basic Assistance.
Human Resources - technical support to Protection Staff.
- Play the role of the functional Manager of the relevant Protection Staff
- In collaboration with HR and Project Managers, support the recruitment of the staff
- Build and supervise the relevant Protection staff
- Take part in the evaluation of the relevant protection staff
- Organize training and identify capacity building for the staff, ensuring internal capacities are built (capacity building being a priority at mission level for staff retention and internal career progression)
- Organize internal workshops and meeting with all the relevant key Protection staff of the mission to develop and innovate the mission protection tools and strategy
Protection Strategy Development and new funding
- Provide analysis of the protection situation of the country
- Lead the definition of the protection programming strategy for INTERSOS
- Support the Programme Coordinator and the HoM to design a Lebanon Country Strategy.
- Support the design of potential funding opportunities for Protection programming
- Lead the technical writing of new funding opportunities.
- Ensure Protection mainstreaming and integration in other programming in coordination with the Program Coordinator and HoM
Monitor, Evaluation and Supervision of Project Management
- Provide direction to staff in the implementation of the work planning, budgets and spending (relative to the Protection component)
- Support the Project Staff in the planning and the monitoring of the achievement of the activities, deliverables and budget.
- With the support of the Programme Coordinator, provide feedbacks on the monthly monitoring tool (PAT) to PMs (both technical and financial)
- Support the Project staff in producing high quality donor report (in their protection sections)
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engaging with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at sectorial coordination meetings.
- Maintaining productive working relationships with Protection, GBV and CPiE Working Groups at the national and field level.
- Ensuring the participation of INTERSOS to relevant Working Groups and Task Forces (responsibilities can be delegated)
- Briefing all protection staff on discussions held during working groups.
- Organizing the internal protection meetings on a monthly basis.
- Developing strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Monthly protection report
Other objectives and duties:
- As requested by the HoM, for the effective implementation and quality of the protection activities.
Required profile and experience
- Master degree in Refugee law, International Human Rights Law, Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, Gender studies or other relevant to the position
- At least 5 years in humanitarian / NGO sector and at least 2 years in a Senior Management, Coordination or Advisory position
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (strongly preferred)
- Experience in the different components of protection programming
- Background in protection and human rights projects
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and quick adaptability and flexibility in stressful environment
- Ability to manage human resources and provide coaching / capacity building
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Previous achievement in Project Proposal Writing
- English (fluent)
- Arabic would be considered as an asset
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM
- Excellent diplomatic skills
- Ability to delegate and work in team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads;
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
- Good computing skills