REACH Research Manager for Somalia
IMPACT Initiatives , Somalia
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise. IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
We are currently looking for a REACH Research Manager to support our REACH Somalia team.
Position: Research Manager
Contract duration: 1 year
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Starting Date: ASAP
REACH has been operational in Somalia since 2012, providing information management support to humanitarian actors in a complex environment through assessment capacity, GIS services and support to Cluster IM practices. Projects have included tri-cluster assessments in support of the WASH, Shelter and Education Clusters, support to Food Security response analysis, and development of a Shelter Cluster M&E Framework. REACH Somalia is looking to expand information support to the humanitarian response in several key areas, including IDP settlement profiling and monitoring, multi-cluster needs assessments, durable solutions and improved remote data collection. Key strategic aims are to increase geographic and sectoral coverage and to enhance advocacy capacity through strengthened data collection and information targeting.
REACH is seeking an experienced candidate, who has previously managed teams and implemented aid projects in a humanitarian setting. Under the supervision of the Country Coordinator, he/she will be the Head of the Inter-Sectoral Research Unit (ISRU). The candidate should be comfortable representing REACH with donors and be able to coordinate and liaise with a range of senior external partners. The Research Manager will be responsible for the management of the ISRU, including all of its staff and research cycles in Somalia. The Research Manager will also be responsible for related logistics, partner coordination, reporting and finance requirements. He/she will be part of the Senior Management Team and play a key role in the development and implementation of the country strategy.
The Research Manager responsibilities include:
- Direct management of international and senior national team members, including recruitment, the conduct of appraisals, as well as staff career management;
- Development and implementation of capacity training plans for team members;
- Day-to-day management of team members, including the development of work plans and performance indicators
Strategy Development and Implementation
Development and implementation of an annual unit strategy;
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), contribute to the development and implementation of the REACH Somalia country strategy;
Strengthened dissemination strategies to strengthen the impact of the ISRU programmes;
- Engagement with HQ on ISRU research and/or coordination.
Project/Research Cycle Management
- Ensure all SRU assessments are planned in line with relevant project and program objectives and with global REACH guidelines;
- Keep track of all progress and delays throughout ISRU projects and research cycles;
- Ensure relevant stakeholders and partners are engaged in assessment design and planning;
- Monitor output achievement, project expenditure and ensure a timely completion of the project.
- In coordination with the Country Coordinator and SMT, represent REACH with donors, partners, and the wider humanitarian aid community in Somalia.
- In coordination with the Country Coordinator, draft relevant project narrative and financial reports; Maintain an oversight of budget and expenditure for ISRU-relevant grants;
- Ensure that contractual obligations are met in terms of programs deliverables;
- Ensure activities are implemented
The Research Manager will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in relevant discipline;
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience in a humanitarian setting, such as program management, evaluation and assessments;
- Demonstrated team management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to engage with donors and senior coordination-level partners
- Excellent ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software;
- English communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Skills in SPSS, R or related statistical software are considered an asset.
- Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus.
- Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT’s partner ACTED.
- Food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment).
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance.
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package.