REACH Senior GIS Officer for Iraq
IMPACT Initiatives , Erbil, Iraq
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT REACH AND ACTED
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises of specialists in data collection, information management, data analysis, and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarters is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their 3,300 staff are committed in responding to emergencies worldwide, in supporting recovery and rehabilitation, and working towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for an assessment officer in Iraq to support the REACH Initiative team.
Title: Senior GIS Officer (level dependent upon profile)
Duration: 6 months (renewable)
Start date: ASAP
Location: Erbil, Iraq
ACTED has been working in Iraq since 2003, providing humanitarian support to vulnerable populations through multi-sector emergency assistance. The REACH Initiative has been present in Iraq since 2012, supporting humanitarian decision-making with assessments and information management activities focusing on the needs of all conflict-affected populations, including displaced and returnees. Today, data collected and disseminated by REACH aims to provide a baseline for ongoing response planning efforts across Iraq.
REACH assessment activities in Iraq are currently focussed along the three major themes:
- Support for decision-makers in the humanitarian planning cycle
- Information support and advocacy for durable solutions for internally displaced persons and returnees
- Third-party quality monitoring of humanitarian programmes
- REACH has its main assessment office in Erbil, with data collection teams working across Iraq.
Under the direct supervision of a member of the REACH Iraq Assessment team, and functional management by the Senior Management Team and Country Coordinator, the REACH Senior GIS Officer will be responsible for the managing processes and outputs related to GIS products, remote sensing, and other data tasks, including web applications.
Under the direct supervision of a member of the REACH Iraq GIS Manager, and functional management by the Country Coordinator, the REACH Senior GIS Officer will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of GIS support tasks. This includes:
- Ensure GIS functions within Research Cycle by working in close coordination with assessment staff
- o Ensure that assessments are planned in line with GIS input and support.
- o Identification of available GIS data to inform secondary data review.
- o Ensure GIS requirements of research cycle/assessment are met.
- o Develop geo-spatial analysis of assessment areas to be used, as relevant, in developing daily assessment plans, field movement plans and accompanying operational maps for field teams.
- o Support construction of quantitative sample and when relevant, ensure that collected data is geo-referenced, enabling the production of maps and related products
- o Facilitate data cleaning and analysis automation process for the ongoing long term projects / assessments. Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data.
- o Work with assessment team to identify key spatial trends in assessment data.
- Produce GIS Products (including maps and web-products) to standalone or incorporate into other outputs
- o Work with GIS Specialist and assessment team to identifying map information needs based on objectives of a project.
- o Work with GIS Specialist and assessment team to identify narrative and key findings to communicate in output.
- o Identify and access map data sources to provide additional context to analyses and outputs.
- o Create high quality maps, infographics, dashboards/interactive maps in close partnership with assessment team and in line with REACH guidelines.
- Lead Remote Sensing Projects
- o Work with GIS Specialist and assessment staff to identify information gaps in Iraq that could be filled with remote sensing tools.
- o Conceptualize and plan remote sensing analyses with team to support the strategic direction of the mission regarding environmental/water remote sensing, as well as analyses of shelter destruction and rehabilitation.
- o Develop methodologies and conduct remote sensing analyses in line with REACH standards and best practices and in close collaboration with REACH headquarters and/or UNOSAT.
- o Design and create clear, high quality outputs based on new and previously existing data to meet identified objectives
- Support GIS and Data Staff
- o Manage 1-2 GIS/Data Officers or Interns. Provide daily support, assist in career development, and work with GIS Specialist to perform performance appraisals.
- o Build GIS, Remote Sensing, and data analysis/automation capacity on team. Provide informal and formal trainings. o Provide regular support and technical backstopping to all GIS staff members.
- o Work with the GIS Specialist, REACH Technical Focal Points, and when appropriate, staff at headquarters in Geneva, to identify and implement best GIS, Remote Sensing and other technical practices.
- o Participate in regular meetings with all GIS and data staff to assess progress in all research cycles and to review work plan.
- o Assist as needed in geo-spatial analysis data review and validation, map validation and review, and validation of other GIS and data processes.
- o Provide oversight in GIS procedures on the Iraq mission regarding GIS data management and organization, data security, file sharing, output tracking, and asset management (REACH Iraq print shop, etc).
- o Support on external relations as needed with the Iraq Information Management Working Group and Iraq GIS Taskforce.
- Good academic qualifications, preferably a Master degree in a relevant discipline (Geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, Web Development, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, etc)
- 3+ years experience with GIS, preferably ESRI suite software: ArcPro, ArcMap, ArcGIS Online
- Remote Sensing experience in Google Earth Engine, ESRI suite products, or other programs.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign and illustrator an asset.
- A good eye for design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience.
- Experience managing staff of various levels from intern to officer.
- Good command of English language speaking and writing skills are required. Arabic and/or Kurdish an asset.
- Experience in a humanitarian context an asset.
- Knowledge of the humanitarian context in Iraq an asset.
- Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles.
- Good attention to detail, and commitment to producing high quality work;
- Openness to feedback and willingness to learn;
- Ability to work independently with initiative, and strong capacity to work in an intercultural team;
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing needs and responsibilities The ideal candidate will be eager to work in a dynamic organization with opportunities to build skills with an international team in a humanitarian context.
The ideal candidate will be eager to work in a dynamic organization with opportunities to build skills with an international team in a humanitarian context.