Regional Awards Manager
Relief International, Jordan
Position: Regional Awards Manager, Middle East
Location: Washington, DC or Amman, Jordan (with travel to field offices when required up to 30%)
Reports to: Regional Program Director
Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
The Regional Awards Manager will provide overall compliance technical support to country offices and regional support office throughout the project life cycle -- a proposal, kickoff, implementation, and close out. Working collaboratively with country team members, this role will be responsible for ensuring that the grants in the Middle East portfolio adhere to all award management obligations – internally with Relief International and externally with donors.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide guidance and training on donor regulations at proposal kickoffs or inception workshops and grant close-out, including audit readiness.
- In coordination with regional and global finance staff, provide guidance and training on financial compliance, including allowable costs, budget tracking
- Provide guidance on operations compliance, particularly for general procurement,
- Pharmaceutical procurement and management, Security,
- Provide guidance on partnership/sub-award management, including vetting and collaborative scoping of partners, drafting and review of sub-award agreements and modifications, oversight and report verification.
- Provide technical advice on donor and partner negotiations
- Lead the grant agreement review process
- In coordination with Regional Program Officer, lead grant and sub-grant modification/amendment preparation with Country office
- Train and roll out award management processes to Country Offices
- Lead inception and close out workshops for new/strategic/high-value grants
- Carry out grants compliance spot checks and site visits
- Undertake portfolio review, gathering and presenting data to help guide decision making.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Professional qualification relating to business, finance, accounting or international development
- Proven (7+ years) track record of in-country award portfolio management and knowledge of major donors’ compliance requirements
- Experience communicating with impact in a complex stakeholder environment
- Experience of staff management, supervision and capacity building in Award Management
- Proven track record of supporting a senior management team
- Problem-solving skills to identify and lead the resolution of issues
- Good attention to detail and analytical skills
- Computer literate (i.e. Word, advanced Excel, Outlook, financial systems).
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Patient, flexible, able to improvise and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning, management, and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a workload comprised of varying and changing tasks and responsibilities
- Basic understanding of operational programming, including the realities of the context
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in managing multicultural teams
- Deep understanding of Partnership Principles
- Understanding of internal control environment needs related to programs in Syria and other complex crisis environments.
Relief International's Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation