Regional Director - Yemen, Afghanistan and Libya
INTERSOS , Tunis, Tunisia
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Director for Yemen, Afghanistan and Libya
Duty station: Tunis (regional hub), with frequent field missions
Starting date: 01/10/2020
Contract duration: 2 year (renewable)
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of: Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Mission
Dependents: yes, Tunis is a family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected.
The present organizational structure of INTERSOS Programmes department is made of a team of one Director of Programmes, four Regional Directors, four Deputy Regional Directors, a Protection Referent, three Medical Advisors and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the geographic area of her/his competence and, in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, has the responsibility of management, strategic planning, implementation of the strategies and achievement of missions objectives.
The Regional Director represents the Organisation in relation to third parties in the region of assignment on the basis of directives conferred by the Director of Programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the supervision of the Director of Programmes and referring to the region of assignment:
• Design strategies; define territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programming and planning of activities together with Deputy Regional Director.
• In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, guarantee the implementation of the regional strategies and analyse the critical factors of contexts.
• Is responsible of the overall security in the geographic area of his competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies
• Is responsible of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborate with Head of Missions and project leaders in the management of these relations
• Is responsible for the identification and elaboration of new project interventions: direct and support Head of Missions and project leaders in designing, setting up and implementing new projects; in agreement with the Director of Programmes approves project proposals before the submission to donors
• Follow up, in coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, the approval process at HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors. Link with Director of Programmes and Secretary General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis
• Supervise implementation of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency)
• In collaboration with the Heads of Mission guarantee the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of its competence
• In collaboration with Human Resources department supervise management of Human Resources and atmosphere in the missions: Collaborate to the recruitment of international Human Resources of the geographical area; Motivate, direct and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation; Promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region; Appraise the performance of Head of Missions and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives. Support the Head of Missions in the evaluation process of the project leaders
• Ensure the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Program Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring and control of the project activities
Required profile and experience
· Advanced university degree in Human Sciences or International Relations
● Field working experience of at least five (5) years in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
· Strategic vision
· Creative competency to set up new strategies, new projects, new tools
· Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture;
· Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors;
· Strong computer literacy
● English & French are mandatory
● Italian and Arabic a strong plus
- Strong leader with people management skills
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment with heavy work pressure
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations
- Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in a very complex contexts;