Regional Human Resources Adviser
Norwegian Refugee Council, Dakar, Senegal
The NRC Central and West Africa region is composed of country offices in Mali, the Central African Republic (CAR), the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), North-east Nigeria, a country office in Cameroon and a new Country office starting up soon in Niger. All countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs and displacements numbers due to conflict.
Displacement across the region is fluid and complex. Across the region new displacements occur alongside secondary displacements of people who are trying to return home, but often find themselves unable to reach their place of origin. An increasing number of people across the region live in protracted displacement, and are dependent on humanitarian assistance for survival.
The Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) is overseeing the country programmes in the region, and provides strategic guidance across core programme, advocacy and support functions.
The Regional Office for Central and West Africa is quite a recent regional office as it was moved from Oslo, Norway to Dakar, Senegal in March 2018.
The purpose of the HR Adviser is to support the country offices in implementation of HR and administrative systems in accordance with NRC policies and procedures but with a thematic focus on Staff and Duty of Care..
• Provide strategic advice and technical support to the Country Offices in the region on HR.
• Support and monitor compliance with the HR handbooks and NRC policies, and respective quality assurances
• Provide control checks to the Country Offices to ensure compliance to the HR handbook, pre-agreed through travel visits to the country offices.
• Contribute to the development of policies, strategies, tools and new approaches, with a focus on innovation and piloting
• Ensure that best practices are identified, documented and disseminated both within the region and beyond
• Provide capacity development across Country Offices in the region and the Regional Office
• Provide regular HR analysis and reports
• Focal point for two or three countries in the region.
• Support Country Directors and the Regional Office with personnel cases incl. termination of contracts
• Develop or revise relevant training modules and materials to be used in the Region linked to duty of care
• Support country offices in procedures related to Duty of Care, Staff Care and Critical Incidents (incl. evacuations, relocation and psycho social support)
• Provide necessary guidance on routines and policies linked to staff care.
• Establish an overview of Staff Care and Duty of Care capacity and compliance in country offices
• Collaborate with HR Global and Country Offices on ensuring necessary training and building capacity of HR staff in in Country Offices on Staff Care and Duty of Care
• Carry out other duties of temporary character appointed by line manager
- A University Graduate with a minimum of 3 years’ experience working as a Manager/Adviser as well as experience within the humanitarian field.
- Knowledge from start-up or exit situations is an advantage. We are looking for an individual with exceptional people skills, who works independently and has the capacity and experience to support our staff through training and coaching. Our successful candidate has solid experience in Staff and Duty of Care, has experience working in complex and volatile contexts and is committed to providing our country offices with consistent and comprehensive recruitment support. We are looking for a service minded, solution focused and passionate professional that is highly motivated to be a part of enabling NRC to deliver high quality assistance.
- Fluency written and spoken English and French is a must. Knowledge about the context of Central and West Africa is an advantage.
- Initiating action and change
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: June 2019
- Duration: 24 months, (Senegal National Contract)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Grade: 9 in NRC's grade structure