Regional Programme Director – Middle East
Spark , Istanbul, Turkey
The Regional Director is the leader of one of SPARK’s regional hubs and is accountable for all programmes and projects executed in Turkey, KRG, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Palestinian Territories. We look for a seasoned people manager to guide current activities and staff as well as somebody with an entrepreneurial and innovative attitude to facilitate growth.
The Regional Director is the direct people manager to the Regional Program Managers and Country representatives/managers as well as the regional support team in the regional Hub. He/she reports to the Director of Programmes and is an active member of SPARK’s Core Team dealing with organisation and programme related strategic planning.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
· Support the Regional Programme Managers and Country Managers/representative where needed to ensure that programmes in the region and countries are implemented within budget and meet agreed KPIs as per agreement with donors and partner organizations.
· Streamline the efficient and effective operation in the region, if needed by clarifying roles and responsibilities, guiding and growing senior staff in their role, and fine-tuning procedures.
· Provide input to the overall SPARK strategy on regional level as well as general policy input for the multi-year strategic plan adjustment and annual plans, and in line with these, actively develop new program ideas and follow up on the leads with the Acquisition Team. Make sure that new programs are well-resourced and properly planned.
· Coordinate with UN agencies, relevant NGOs and other stakeholders at country and regional level in close coordination with the regional managers, country representatives/managers and the Board of Directors.
· Represent SPARK and its programmes and advocate in different country and regional forums for more access to higher education and economic opportunities for youth and with that further grow SPARK’s visibility and profile in the region.
· Executes together with Country Managers and Regional team Spark’s People Strategy across the region, focused on engaging and retaining our talented staff and attracting the right people for the job.
· Promote SPARK values and ethical standards in daily activities and behaviours as well as display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability in the region.
Requirements and Skills
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience, including significant experience in economic inclusion and job creation fields such as entrepreneurship, SME and employment services.
- Advanced academic degree in relevant discipline.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and proven track record in program development.
- Proven management experience of large multi-donor, multi-country, multi-year programmes in conflict-affected and fragile countries.
- A people centric attitude and experience in managing teams with members of diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working in the Middle East and/or Turkey.
- Full professional proficiency in English. One or more of the languages spoken in the region is strong advantage, especially Arabic and/or Turkish.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- Remuneration based on experience and full time contract (40h/per week) between 4500-5500 EUR gross per month.
- Dynamic team to work with.
SPARK’s mission is to offer access to higher education and support entrepreneurship development in fragile states so that young, ambitious people can lead their societies into stability and prosperity.
Founded in 1994 SPARK is an independent, not-for-profit international development organisation with more than 100 staff working in seventeen countries. s an international NGO, with a small central office in The Netherlands, a support office in Serbia and regional offices in Turkey, Rwanda and Tunisia. SPARK also has country offices in Burundi, South Sudan, Liberia, Iraq, KRG, Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan, Somalia and Libya.