Regional shared operations advisor– Africa (RSOA)
War Child Holland , Central, Uganda
War Child Holland (WCH) is an independent and impartial international non-governmental organization investing in a peaceful future for children and young people affected by armed conflict. WCH works in 14 countries to improve the resilience and wellbeing of children, delivering vital child protection, education and psychosocial support.
War Child Holland has been operating in Uganda since 2004, initially in response to the LRA conflict. Towards the end of 2016, WCH programming focused on responding to the large influx of South Sudanese refugees into Uganda (West Nile). WCH started operating this year in refugee settlements in Western Uganda to respond to the needs of the DRC refugees.
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is to lead and support a team of functional experts to deliver a high-quality Program in all African Country Offices as well as the Africa Regional Hub itself, including in a humanitarian response.
The position enables others to deliver through providing oversight and risk-management of systems and processes to ensure the proper utilization of income from grants; effective human resource management and development; cost effective administration and logistics, provision of ICT, risk management, and compliance.
The role is also to facilitate all global projects, change initiatives and systems in the region with implications for support functions and contribute to an effective implementation by all offices with the overall aim of supporting WCH to be an agile and effective organization.
Objective of the job
The Regional Shared Operations Advisor (RSOA) shall;
- Support and develop senior operations and support managers/coordinators in the areas of Finance, HR&OD, ICT, Operations and Logistics.
- Report regularly to the RR after consultation with the relevant CD’s/ CMT’s on the management of all risks associated with Program delivery including income, people management, legal and compliance.
- Have technical oversight and support to Country Programs in managing risks and remaining compliant in the delivery of cost-effective work
- Prepare, monitor and analyses collated Regional and Country budgets for submission to HO.
- Participate and effectively represent the Region in global projects and fora as required.
Position in organisation and essential functional relations
The RSOA reports to Regional Representative with technical reporting lines to Global Director of Shared Operations, Other essential functional relations include: Country Directors and other Regional counter parts, Program teams, Finance, Logistics and HR teams.
The position is a member of the core Regional Management Team. The RSOA will be based in Kampala with substantial travel to Country offices in the Region.
Roles & Responsibilities plus key result areas;
Strategic Planning and delivery of programs;
- Ensure a strong CSPs and COPPs program that includes realistic sub-strategies for operational resourcing: financing, HR&OD / workforce planning, logistics, ICT, operations and risk management that will enable fulfilment of the plans.
- Develop a Regional strategic robust plan and ensure the program supports the delivery of Program objectives.
- Support CO’s to ensure the development of adequate control mechanisms in compliance with WCH policies to enable smooth operations in the Region.
- Draft all reports needed for the Region in a timely manner as needed.
- Lead and oversee the annual budgeting and planning process of all Regional projects in close cooperation with the relevant CD’s/CMT’s while reviewing plans and budgets and providing constructive analysis according to WCH and donor requirements.
- Contribute to the development of the Regional Strategy and the production of the annual plan;
Policy and legal compliance;
- Ensure that Country Offices are fully compliant with local statutory / registration requirements, global policies and procedures, and the minimum standards associated with their implementation.
- Draft and make periodic updates to existing policies as per guidelines from HO.
- Ensure accountability and adherence to all WCH global policies, procedures and initiatives are followed by all Regional staff.
- Support Regional offices in the preparation for external or internal audits and in year-end closure.
Risk assessment and management ;
- Identify and address financial and internal control risks in the Region, including risks of financial performance and funding, HR&OD, ICT, Operations and Logistics risks.
- Advise on the improvement of internal controls that ought to be in place across the Region by contributing to the development and improvement of policies, processes and procedures.
- Take lead in the preparation for both internal and external audits, including grant audits in a timely manner.
- All offices in the region must be fully compliant with WCH’s strategic goals, values and policies and procedures, ensuring organizational standards are understood and met and risks are identified and mitigated.
- Ensure that WCH risk management systems and policies are clearly stated and followed by all staff.
Team support & development;
- Ensure the strategic development of senior operations and support managers/coordinators in the areas of Finance, HR&OD, ICT, Operations and Logistics to maximize support to Regional Country Offices.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate staff regarding tools, policies, and procedures as per WCH methodology.
- Develop & review contractual agreements with partners and stake holders on behalf of WCH.
- To establish comprehensive technical development/strengthening plans to provide an excellent service to the Country Programs.
- Develop training manuals (with support of the Methodology Department at HQ) and carry out training of Programme staff and local partners; Prepares terms of references and is involved in recruitment of staff for the Program unit;
- Advise RR and CD’s on performance of operations staff including delivering on any improvement goals, taking decisive action in the case of poor performance and pointing out strong areas of such staff.
Regional Hub service support;
- Oversee the general administrative functions in line with WCH polices, procedures and guidelines.
- Build and develop a strong Regional support system to enable effective and efficient delivery of quality programs across the Region.
- Manage and support the administrative team and provide leadership and direction to the team.
- Represent War Child in relevant Regional donor meetings as required and at the international level when appropriate and in consultation with line manager & Head Office.
- Adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in Code of Conduct (CoC) with Associated Policies; the Child Safeguarding Policy, Anti-Fraud / Corruption Policy and the Anti-Trafficking Policy.
- Adhere to, support and promote the standards outlined in the WCH and donor Code of Conduct and related policies to the team.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by line manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Masters degree in Business administration, Finance & Accounting, Economics or any other relevant qualifications.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant leadership/management experience in humanitarian programs in the Africa;
- Knowledge in handling grants from European Commission, ECHO, DFID, USG (including USAID) and UN agencies; SIDA, SDC and GAC is desirable;
- Familiarity with key actors in the African Region and demonstrated experience in developing, building and maintain strategic partnerships with these actors;
- Knowledge in proposal writing of winning grants; experience with technical programs in child protection, education and or MHPSS an advantage;
- Understanding of humanitarian principles and established international standards in humanitarian settings for refugees and other marginalized populations, especially children and youth;
- Excellent ICT and statistics skills., experience with UNIT4 Business World, SPSS and Salesforce an advantage.
- Experienced in working with broader systems development including procurement, logistics, HR and IT.
- Strong budgeting and strategic planning abilities.
- Experience of working/living in insecure and sensitive environments
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to build productive working relationships within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
- Ability to work with a high degree of professionalism.
- Strong advisory skills to deliver clear and well augmented advice;
- “Convincing skills” to persuade and convince others to follow his/ her advice;
- Social and communicative skills for coaching and managing of staff and frequent internal and external contacts;
- Strong coaching skills to coach others;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.**
“Commitment to the vision and goals of War Child Holland in Uganda, including adherence to the Child Safety Policy, is essential” **