Registration/Information Management Officer
UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Cameroon
The Registration/Information Management Officer oversees UNHCR's registration and Information Management procedures and decision-making as well as related activities in the operation. The Registration/Information Management Officer may be directly responsible for or extensively contribute to developing and implementing an operation-specific registration and Information Management strategy in compliance with the overall protection objectives of the office to ensure that registration and Information Management is effectively used for the identification of specific protection needs, for the management of operations and for the achievement of durable solutions.
The Registration/information Management Officer will also be responsible for gathering of registration data and will assist in the analysis and dissemination of population information. The Registration/Information Management Officer, will in addition, liaise with sectoral leads to gather information for further analysis and dissemination and identify information gaps. Where information gaps exist, he/she may help setting up primary data collection systems and organise needs assessments which may also involve other stake holders.
The Registration/Information Management Officer collaborates closely with Protection, Programme, Operational Data Management and Information Management colleagues as well as with key UN and international organizations, NGOs and partners on the provision of quality population data for the delivery of targeted protection or assistance interventions and programming and planning.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Social Sciences, Demography, Statistics, Information Technology, Geography, Political Science, or related fields plus minimum 6 years of previous work experience of which at least 4 years combined field and/or headquarters experience in international organizations. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master¿s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Strong understanding of the principles of and concepts of international protection and UNHCR.
- Knowledge of the UN system and the humanitarian community.
- Knowledge of protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators.
- Proven skills to analyse statistical information.
- Strong team building, managerial, planning, coordination and representation skills.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Advanced Excel skills (e.g. pivot tables, functions, etc.).
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
- Ability to translate planning-specifications into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa.
- Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets.
- Experience with handling confidential data.
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Technical expertise in registration, individual case management and identity management systems, including proGres, in refugee and internal displacement situations.
- Successful participation in the Operational Data management Learning Programme.
- Experience in web design and software development is an asset.
- Experience with relevant software such as: ArcGIS, Mapinfo, SPSS, EpiInfo6, HTML, PHP, ASP, Java, Ms
- Access, SQL, progress).
- Knowledge of UNHCR and interagency policies, standards, programmes and humanitarian operations in a variety of geographical locations and operational contexts.
- Familiarity with planning, programming and implementation of registration operations at the field levels, including strategic planning, project development, budgeting and resource mobilization.