Research Manager - Somalia
Rift Valley Institute, Central, Kenya
The Rift Valley Institute is seeking a highly experienced and dynamic Research Manager to lead and manage research undertaken for the Platform for Political Dialogue in Somalia programme ('the Platform'). Candidates must have demonstrable research and management experience, and proven analytical and English writing skills. A working understanding of Somali is desirable.
The Platform is a multi-year programme that seeks to provide a neutral space to facilitate broad and flexible political dialogue on reconciliation, inclusive governance, constitutional order, resource sharing and elections. The Platform is managed by a consortium of four organizations working in Somalia: Conflict Dynamics International (CDI), the Heritage Institute for Policy Studies (HIPS), Terra Incognita and the RVI. The project is funded by the UK Department for International Development.
The Research Manager will lead and support the Platform’s Research Team in collaboration with the Consortium partners and other key stakeholders as necessary, to ensure the delivery of high quality research outputs. The Research Manager, working closely with HIPS, will have oversight for commissioning, researching, and the dissemination of research outputs for the Platform. As an RVI member of staff the Research Manager may be called on the provide in-house research expertise, support and guidance for other RVI’s research projects in the Horn of Africa, East and Central Africa.
The Research Manager could be based in the RVI Nairobi office or in Somalia. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Research Manager will work closely with RVI colleagues working on the Platform, and other programme and administrative teams in Kenya, Somalia and the UK.
Description of Duties
Platform for Political Dialogue
In collaboration with HIPS and other consortium partners, the Research Manager will lead the Platform Research Team, tasked with commissioning, monitoring, and reviewing policy-oriented research and analysis intended to inform and support the Platform’s engagement activities, through both public and internal research outputs. This will involve both leading research and managing research teams. Specifically, the Research Manager will:
- Manage the Platform research work plan agreed with consortium partners.
- Identify relevant research themes with consortium partners.
- Manage the Research Team meetings.
- Support the design and inception of research projects, including preparing concept notes, proposals and budgets.
- Design effective research methodologies and data collection tools.
- Develop protocols to ensure high quality research is undertaken and conducted in an ethical manner.
- Recruit, commission and supervise researchers and Somali research institutes as necessary.
- Undertake primary research when appropriate.
- Train researchers and research teams where necessary.
- Manage the preparation and production of research publications, including reviewing, editing, and translation, with support from RVI’s publications team and consortium partners.
- Develop and populate research databases.
- Mitigate and manage risks associated with research projects, and orient new researchers on security protocols in collaboration with RVI and consortium partners.
The Research Manager will primarily work on the Platform, but will have other responsibilities to RVI as a whole, including:
- Support other RVI research activities in the Somali territories, including the design, commissioning, and implementation of research, and the training of researchers.
- Support the development of RVI’s network of researchers and relationships with research organisations in the Somali regions.
- Provide advice, guidance and support on RVI’s research projects across all RVI programmes.
- Represent RVI and its programmes in public fora in the Somali regions, as required.
- Ensure RVI contact and calendar databases are kept up-to-date and documents filed appropriately in the RVI’s online storage systems.