Senior advisor Safety & Security – DanChurchAid (Roving position)
DCA , Democratic Republic Of The Congo
DanChurchAid is looking for an Experienced, and Energetic Senior Advisor for Safety and Security
With the increasing complexities in the global contexts DCA works in, we wish to further strengthen DCA’s Safety and Security framework including the role out and application of standards and guidelines at country programme level. The primary goal is to provide specialized, coordinated, and focused safety management support to DCA with an aim to reduce the risks posed to DCA staff and programmes. A key component of this position will therefore be to provide systematic and timely support to DCA Country Offices and programmes. This includes training of relevant staff, as well as regular monitoring and documentation to ensure both learning and accountability which will instil and maintain the appropriate Safety and Security structures are in place and applied across the entire organization.
The Senior Advisor is considered a roving position which mean the successful candidate will operate from his/her home country/Country of residence. The job will however entail and require frequent travel to DCA Country Offices, sometimes at short notice and for longer periods (3-4 weeks) depending on the needs.
You will report directly to the Global Head of Security and Safety that is based in HQ/Copenhagen. You will be working closely with the DCA Country Directors as well as the country-based Security Access Managers and the Security Focal Points. You will also contribute to the regular security updates that is shared with the Programme Director and the Head of Humanitarian Response and Mine Action, as they have the overall responsibility for the Country Directors and the Country offices.
DCA is a multi-mandated organization with country offices, staff, and programmes in 19 countries. Programmes and project activities are diverse and includes humanitarian action, longer term development, and resilience building activities, as well as humanitarian mine action, including demining.
It is crucial that you thrive in a hands-on training and advisory function and that you can maintain functional and constructive relationships - also in times of stress and uncertainty. Building and maintaining relations with key stakeholders while also respecting and applying the organisational and hierarchical structures is important.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Operational support and vigilance:
- Proactively inform DCA’s global safety and security framework and objectives
- Contribute to the roll out of annual global Security and Safety work-plan in support of the global strategic priorities. The work-plan should inform and consolidate input from country programmes.
- Regular monitoring of country offices and programmes according to key indicators, and standards for accountability and learning purposes.
- Make available and contribute with technical advice and support to individual DCA operations which enable them to formulate and meet their targets and objectives
- Member of the Crisis Management Team at HQ when required and hands-on support to Country Office level during crisis response
- Support the implementation of PSEA policies, where staff safety and security are concerned and ensure that the DCA gender policy is foremost in the implementation of security procedures and protocols.
Training and learning
- Provide technical support, training, sparring, and mentoring to the DCA network of Safety and Security personnel
- Co-ordinate and sometimes deliver training events and learning initiatives across the organization
- Support the ongoing innovation and concept development in areas related to Security and Safety
- Engage in relevant networks such as the ACT Alliance
Monitoring and documentation
- Support the country safety and security threat analysis for potential Country Office implementation in new areas of operations.
- Support the development and maintenance of KPIs relevant to Safety in individual country programmes
- Contribute with relevant key data and figures to International department
Make sure that DCA has updated and relevant knowledge about debates and developments in Safety thematic fora and be part of strategic alliances including the ACT alliance.
The Senior Advisor on Security and Safety will refer to the Global Head of Security and Safety who is based on HQ/Copenhagen.
The successful candidate will have at least 10 years of documented experience with hands on security management, monitoring, training and learning. You should have:
- No less than three years field experience in volatile contexts and conflict-affected environments, preferable with an INGO
- Minimum bachelor’s degree level education in a related field
- Strong analytical as well as writing skills and the ability to provide conflict analysis
- The ability to communicate safety and security issues and concerns in a credible, consultative, and professional manner, that engages support and empowers strong decision making.
- An ‘enabling’ and solutions-driven outlook and excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Vast experience with delivering safety-related trainings to both national and international staff members including the ability to train and convey information to non-safety personnel
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Fluent in English - fluency or knowledge of French and/or Arabic is a strong advantage
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principles
- Have the ability to manage a busy workday with conflicting deadlines, and have an organised, structured approach
- Contract starting as soon as possible
- Good colleagues in a rewarding and empowering workplace
- Salary based on DanChurchAid´s collective agreement - an attractive pension and insurance scheme will apply
- The position is full time
- An interesting and challenging experience addressing humanitarian needs