Senior Analyst - IMMAP COVID Response (Burkina Faso)
iMMAP , Oubritenga, Burkina Faso
MMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
An outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a new coronavirus started in China in December 2019 and has now been detected in most countries. The virus is named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and the disease associated with it is named COVID-19. The epidemic was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020 and characterized by the WHO Director General as a pandemic on 11 March 2020. As more governmental measures are adopted to reduce pressure on health services and public health risks, the impact of the pandemic is being felt by all humanitarian organisations whose staff is mostly confined at home. Non-essential field movements have all been cancelled. Needs assessments are being cancelled and regular monitoring systems interrupted. For the months to come, access to structured information in humanitarian contexts will become the exception, and most decisions will be made on the basis of remote techniques, secondary data, social media, expert judgement or journalism. The impact of movement limitations will be felt at each step of the assessment and analysis cycle. This project will support a global project involving 6 countries. This position will lead the response in Burkina Faso and coordinate with the other countries of implementation other than with the DEEP (thedeep.io) team and Global Analysis Cell. This position is supervised by the Senior IM/Analyst Project Lead for Burkina Faso.
Description of Duties
- Participate in and complement global efforts to gather and organize data on the ongoing humanitarian crisis;
- Design and implement analysis methodology in collaboration with iMMAP analysts globally and other humanitarian partners;
- Proactively analyze information from sector partners, government authorities, academia and other actors;
- Identify gaps in information and join efforts to fill them;
- Provide high quality research and analysis following an evidence-based approach and ensure thorough documentation of the methodology;
- Utilize both open source research and secondary data to look into cross-sectoral issues in the Country as needed;
- Contribute to research design, methodological development and strategic planning for iMMAP’s analysis efforts in country and beyond;
- Maintain an informed understanding of political, economic, and social developments in areas relevant to the project activities for inclusion in analysis and timely alerting of appropriate actors;
- Contribute to production of regular written reports and dashboards;
- Support joint analysis of secondary data through DEEP;
- Ensure proper DEEP use and adequate tagging of leads;
- Design and adjust the analysis framework on DEEP and ensure the team is trained to use it;
- Work closely with iMMAP technical specialists in support of primary and secondary data collection, visualization and geospatial analysis;
- Contribute to Requests for Information from partners and business development opportunities as needed; and,
Perform additional tasks as needed, contributing to iMMAP global projects
Attend periodic information management meetings with the iMMAP COVID project team and country representative to share updates on ongoing humanitarian situation and activities and promote good practices in the organisation.
Maintain effective and positive internal contacts with iMMAP country and regional representatives, external contacts with national and local government officials, international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and partner organizations;
Follow iMMAP's branding regulations required for marketing or branding of all iMMAP products and correspondence.
Capacity building / Training - specific
The Senior Analyst will mentor the IM and Analysis team to build capacity through guidance, training and technical support.
Advanced degree in information management, international relations, economics or other relevant field
At least 5 years of experience in information management and analysis
Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills
High level of proficiency in English and fluency in French language are required
Knowledge of working with the DEEP platform is an advantage
Excellent writing and secondary data analysis skills
Advanced know of the humanitarian architecture and experience in working on multi-sector assessments
Capacity to articulately and comprehensively present research findings both in organized events and ad hoc meetings as needed;