Senior Business Development Expert
Spark , South Sudan
Position: Full time
Duration: One year with a possibility for extension, 40 h per week
Start Date: As soon as possible, preferably latest 1 November 2020
Duty station: Based on candidate’s country of residence
Deadline for applications: 15th of October 2020**
Description of position
The successful candidate will be a highly experienced business developer and proposal writer who will lead on developing successful proposals for funding from our wide range of donors. He/she will work closely with our local partners and SPARK programme teams to co-design programmes in our thematic fields of Job Creation/ Entrepreneurship and Higher Education in fragile states. This will include identifying opportunities, building consortia, negotiating projects share and budget allocations, identifying key experts and writing the proposal including budgets and logical frameworks.
You will provide training and mentoring support for SPARK in-country staff in aspects of acquisition including networking, selling and closing the deal, a degree of travel to mainly the Middle East, North & East Africa is expected in this position.
This is a results-based position and annual targets will be agreed on. As a business development professional you will also be a recognised sectoral expert in preferably job creation/ entrepreneurship/ SME development or Higher Education development.
You will be a member of the SPARK Acquisition Team and will report to the Head of Acquisition.
Main responsibilities & targets
- Lead development and submit a minimum of 25 proposals / bids in cooperation with local partners & offices in sync with the SPARK strategy and mission of which 5 are funded;
- Submitted at least 10 Technical Assistance proposals with leading European consultancy agencies in tender consortia;
- Set up a tailor made coaching and mentoring trajectory and implement this with 5-6 senior SPARK staff,
- Identified together with the team on the job training for relevant SPARK staff, especially country managers, heads of office and central management in tendering processes and proposal development;
- Contribution to development of SPARK best practices.
Requirements and skills
- At least 10 years preferably 15 + working at a senior level in business development and proposal development.
- Proven track record in successful fundraising in the institutional donor sector,
- Extensive knowledge of European funding programmes and tendering; sound knowledge of Project Cycle Management
- Extensive network of contacts within the consulting sector
- A recognised expert in one or more development sectors such as SMEs, regional economic development, innovation etc
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to influence senior officials
- Ability to work independently. The position requires results-oriented approach and travel
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills in a multinational context;
- Excellent communication skills in English: verbal and written; knowledge of other EU languages is an asset.
What we offer:
- Salary based on seniority level and professional experience
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment
- Full time contract, 40h per week