Senior Contracts Manager
Abt Associates, Philippines
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research, evaluation and implementing programs in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. We work with our clients to implement bold, innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors, contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Abt Associates is an organisation that has a personal commitment to its staff and as such we value the long-term relationships that we build with the people who work for us.
Investing in Women
Investing in Women (IW) is a multi-country Australian Government initiative in Southeast Asia that seeks to improve women’s economic participation as employees and as entrepreneurs and influence the enabling environment to promote Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE). It commenced in April 2016 with operations in the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar and is due to run through to June 2023. It is managed out of the Gender Equality Branch (GEB) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Canberra. The Program is supporting the following outcomes:
- More businesses achieve improved gender equality in their workplaces
- Intentional impact investments in women’s small and medium enterprises (WSMEs) increase
- Positive shifts in gender norms related to workplace gender equality
Reporting to the Investing in Women Operations Director, under the direction of Abt’s Head of Legal and Risk, and functioning as a key business partner to the Program’s Technical Leads, the Senior Contracts Manager is responsible for managing the end-to-end contract management activities undertaken in the program. This responsibility includes the procurement of consulting and other services types, grant management, and entering into licensing agreements and different types of business partnerships across multiple countries and jurisdictions. This role is responsible for ensuring that all Investing in Women contracting activities adhere to applicable Abt and IW policies and standards and that contractual and legal risk is managed proficiently.
- Direct and provide contract administrative support and guidance to Investing in Women program areas for procurement, grant management and other contracting activities throughout the entire contract management life-cycle, including contract closure
- As required, conduct approaches to market for procurement and or granting activities in accordance with Investing in Women and Abt processes and manuals
- As relevant, perform efficient organisational and due diligence assessments of grant partners, subcontractors and suppliers to ensure they have capability, systems and procedures in place to effectively and efficiently deliver on their contract
- In-line with Abt proceedures and templates negotiate, draft, issue consultant, service order, sub-contract and grant contracts in a time sensitive and risk controlling manner
- Where necessary, manage external lawyers, interpret their advice to enable informed decision-making within the program
- Ensure all procurement and contract management represents DFAT’s value for money principles.
- Provide timely contract and grant management and compliance support to technical leads, including monitoring of contracts, endorsement of payments, managing variations and providing advice for the proactive and good faith settlement of disputes
- In collaboration with Technical Leads, facilitate and support the implementation of appropriate contractor / partner performance assessment processes
- Further information regarding other key duties is included in the 'Information for Applicants' attachment on the job advert page of the Abt Associates website.
- At least five years’ working experience in international contracts management, including approaches to market, negotiating, drafting, establishing and managing subcontracts for services and grant agreements
- At least five years’ experience working within the Australian Commonwealth Procurement Rules or similar and DFAT or similar donor policies
- Demonstrated ability to provide concise strategic and practical legal advice to Senior Executives
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant field
- High-level interpersonal, communication and management skills
- Commitment to internal and external customer service focused service delivery
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, juggle priorities and meet deadlines in a systematic and thorough manner
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) is a must for this role