Senior Policy Advisor, UN Food Systems Summit - India
GAIN , Delhi, India
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is seeking a Senior Policy Advisor to deliver on GAIN India’s policy and influencing strategy as part of GAIN's key activities for the UN Food Systems Summit taking place in 2021.
This role is based in New Delhi, India and is offered on a full-time contract of up to 12 months starting in January 2021 with the possibility of extension up to two years (depending on funding).
GAIN is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially those most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the role
In September-October 2021, The UN will convene a Food Systems Summit to raise global awareness and finalise global commitments and actions that transform food systems to resolve not only hunger, but to reduce diet-related disease and heal the planet. As a leader of one of the Summit’s Action Tracks (Ensuring Access to Safe Nutritious Food for All), GAIN will be convening a group of 25 experts from across the world over the next 12 months to forge a consensus on an action plan that will be required of governments, civil society groups, the international development community and businesses to meet the Action Track’s goals.
The inclusion of nutritious and safe foods as a major theme is well aligned with GAIN’s strategy to make nutritious foods more affordable and accessible for all. The Food System Summit will be a major opportunity to advance GAIN’s strategy and merits a special effort to link and align many aspects of our programmes, learning and influencing.
Country level participation, through the influencing work led by the India Country Director and the Senior Policy Advisor, is the key to the project’s success.
Role specifics will include;
- Tracking and mapping national preparations for the Food Systems Summit, and the Nutrition for Growth Summit
- Integrating and aligning the Food Systems Summit policy and advocacy work into GAIN’s national business plan
- Ensuring that the interventions led by GAIN and by its different partners are coordinated so that overall project and policy milestones and goals are met
- Providing technical support to project staff and the cross-GAIN working group in order to develop a national food action plan for the summit
- Represent GAIN, where appropriate, in key national-level country-level policy fora and meetings
- Leading on external engagement with key stakeholders in government, private sector, UN, donors and civil society including academia, media, and other development practitioners; to improve support for GAIN’s mission and increase resources
- Synthesizing and disseminating knowledge and evidence from GAIN projects currently under implementation in India that can help drive the agenda for nutritious and safe food in the country
- Creating opportunities to spread key messages arising from GAIN India programming through e.g. media, social media, and positioning events.
You will need to have significant experience managing large scale projects in food systems and quality, as well as policy development and planning work ideally within a government setting that involves public private engagement.
With a proven track record in strong stakeholder management, influencing and advocacy work, you will have experience in building relationships with senior officials in order to engage in the food policy dialogue within the country context. In addition to this, you will have experience in synthesizing and disseminating knowledge and evidence alongside strong reporting skills. You must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team and will have experience working in global, multicultural working environment.
This advert closes on 18th November 2020. Early applications are encouraged. GAIN reserves the right to close this advert early should we receive suitable candidates ahead of the closing date.
Applicants must have the existing right to live and work in India and ideally be available to start by mid-January 2021. Interviews are expected to take place from the 14th December 2020 onwards.
Please note that GAIN is unable to sponsor working visas.
About our offer
In addition to competitive salary, GAIN offers an attractive pension scheme, 25 days holiday (plus public holiday), flexible working and home working. We will support you to grow in your career through professional development opportunities and we offer this within a supportive and collaborative environment.
For more detailed information please see the attached job description. To apply, follow the "Apply Now" link.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued. We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate in.