Senior Political Advisor & Inclusive Politics Pillar Coordinator
CTG Global , Somalia
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Somalia is currently striving towards achieving its development stage, including economic development, social inclusion, sustainable peace, & inclusive politics to ensure an improved quality of life to the current & future generation. Somalia’s ambition to become a peaceful & democratic country will require a substantial & rapid rise in the quality of life delivered to its 12 million population. From that perspective, the FGS is embarking on institutional measures to better enable good governance system sectoral development policies & plans. Accordingly, the FGS is currently implementing pillars to undertake a further democratic leap for various emerging thematic issues through Senior Advisor Experts. As part of Somalia reform agenda designed to pursue elections by 2020 / 2021, the OPM works for the people of Somalia by supporting the PM & cabinet to achieve the FGS’s vision & ensuring a whole of govt. approach to enhancing the economic, environment & social wellbeing of Somalia. The OPM drives the govt's objectives, coordinates policy & services across the whole of govt. & enables effective stewardship of the civil service.
- This is achieved through providing through leadership across the FGS. The OPM’s work is based on shared values that focus on high performance & achievement, ethics & people. These values highlight what OPM stands for & influence how we work. Those values are professionalism & excellence. Our client focus on outcomes, take responsibility for our work, provide consistent & accurate advice & demonstrate drive, energy, initiative, Integrity, ethical, impartial & honest service.
- Our client is considered a custodian of good public governance providing responsive service to the community & govt. They are collaborative & courteous in our dealings with internal & external colleagues & stakeholders.
- More so now with the appointment of a new PM, there is a need to augment the continuity of the regular reform agendas whilst fortifying implementations of the agreed election model leadership. This critical transitionary election period requires focused leadership from the PM flanked by competent & committed advisors.
The objective of this assignment is to support the establishment of the design & implementation of a clear political strategy in the OPM to raise awareness among the Somali people & to support the capacity development of the political department especially on the election agenda. The other purpose of the role is:
- To manage the development of a major whole of government political and projects across govt. ensuring appropriate timeframes & milestones are met.
- Lead the development of innovative political solutions for complex multi ministry & agency service delivery challenges & intractable policy issues as part of the govt's. priority political agenda.
- Develop & maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders & conducting high level negotiations to achieve OPM's objectives.
- In addition to the leadership on the election, constitution & other political matters, the position will also be the custodian of the mutual accountability framework’s politics section implementation & monitoring.
The incumbent will be responsible for carrying out the following specific tasks:
- Principal Advisor to the PM on the political landscape chiefly the implementation of the elections & follow up on the remaining works on the constitution.
- Leadership on the Inclusive politics pillar working group facilitating smooth coordination between the different stakeholders including international partners.
- Chiefly responsible for the implementation of the MAF’s inclusive politics section. Coordination of the monitoring & reporting of the achievements against the set commitments during the 2019 Somalia partnership forum.
- Demonstrated experience leading the development & production of political outputs including organizational structure, briefings & consultation responses.
- Solid understanding of the Somalia political environment including establishing party system.
- Conduct political analysis & research on various structural matters related to the establishment of the political system.
- Provide advice on different political organizational issues & assist in drafting opinions, memoranda & other organizational documents.
- Be actively involved in preparing different acts & organizational submissions & draft the authoritative political opinions as well.
- Conduct political research by utilizing various resources & selecting the relevant material to analyze the structural information.
- Assist in reviewing the organizational political material & any other relevant documents & to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis.
- Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of disputes & monitor the implementation of the political related clauses in establishing the political system.
- Timely monitoring & updating of the inclusive politics MAF commitments.
- The Adviser will produce an FGS political pillars paper on the future political direction of the the country.
- Establish the institutional & functional capacity of OPM staff.
- The FGS Political Adviser will deliver an effective political structure for the govt. as the nucleus of political formulation advice.
- Deliver a detailed action plan that provides the implementation of a long & short term political plans that leads actions in the OPM establishment.
- The Advisor will deliver political development of current & emerging issues within the OPM & good practice to inform future political development & best practice.
- An inception report defining the approach, methodology & timelines for the execution of this assignment political organizational paper that is operational.
- The consultant will report to the OPM.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 4 year of experience in Africa (essential).
Experience & skills:
- A minimum of 4 years’ relevant work experience.
- Experience with electoral commissions a considerable advantage.
- Experience in Somalia & / or other fragile states would be a considerable advantage.
- Experience working on or managing large & complex programs, in coordination with govt. authorities.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills including oral, written & skills.
- Ability to translate strategic thinking & innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize & clearly present complex processes & issues.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines & work independently without supervision.
- Bachelor's Degree in Political Affairs, International Development, Public Policy, or related social or political science discipline.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision & direction.
- Capable of working with others in a participatory & capacity building manner.
- Ability to establish & maintain excellent contacts with colleagues, government officials, community representatives & contractors.
- Self-motivated, versatile & adaptable to different cultures & people.
- Ability to multitask & prioritize work schedules.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.