Senior PSP Assistant (Digital)
UNHCR, Beijing, China
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on
December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to
provide protection (including assistance) and seek durable solutions for millions of refugees
around the world. In the People’s Republic of China, UNHCR registers and conducts refugee
status determination for those seeking asylum, working to help refugees find solutions to
their situations. UNHCR is involved with ensuring support for the protection of refugees and
works with Government authorities to build domestic capacity. In addition, it has a specific
mandate for the prevention and addressing situations of statelessness.
In 2019, UNHCR China Office set up a new Private Sector Partnerships team to mobilize
resources from the Chinese private sector to support our work globally. One of the key
aspects in PSP’s work is to expand UNHCR’s engagement with the general public including
UNHCR’s existing and potential supporters. In collaboration with Amity Foundation, in 2019,
two digital campaigns were launched on both Tencent Charity Platform and Sina Weibo
Besides, UNHCR is currently running WeChat and Weibo accounts. In 2020, UNHCR aims
to increase our supporter base and deepen its engagement through enhanced supporter
experience and to try new digital platforms in addition to Tencent and Sina Weibo. Supporter
experience in mainland China will be mainly rely on digitalized online experience covering
daily social engagement, online fundraising campaign, digital media strategy and executions,
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and data analytics, etc. Given such, UNHCR
China is looking for a digital specialized staff who has experience and skills in this regard.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Senior PSP Associate, in close
collaboration with the whole PSP team including the Associate PSP Officer and the PSP
Associate, and UNHCR office in Beijing especially the Public Information team.
Duties and responsibilities
Responsibilities and activities include:
• Through working efficiently with PSP HQ and PI teams internally, support to develop daily
communications content for email marketing, newsletter, WeChat push news and social
• Work with target audience and marketing insights to further connect UNHCR branding
awareness to potential supporters through email, push notifications and new digital
• Support to design donor care program and donor journey for mainland China market;
• Support to design, establish and maintain CRM system with 3rd party vendor;
• Co-Create the process definition to ensure global procedures are respected and local
needs are reflected in global standards;
• Support to initiate supporter interactions on social media and to deliver relevant and
contextual push notifications via CRM tools;
• Support to develop monthly performance report of social media engagement, supporter
database and UNHCR online public voice;
• Extract actionable insights from supporter data, using these insights to evolve
communications to engage, re-engage and convert supporters;
• Accumulate market knowledge of fundraising in Mainland China including key target
audiences for UNHCR and the most relevant content, media channels and methods to
reach these audiences;
• Support on daily communications with external vendors;
• Conduct other activities that are assigned by supervisors.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• University University in Marketing, Communications, Statistics or related field.
• Additional diploma in digital marketing, social media, E-commerce, CRM or a similar
program as asset.
• A minimum of 5 years’ work experience with at least 2 years in communications
including social media, performance marketing or CRM marketing within the
mainland Chinese context, and at least 2 years’ experience working on data
analysis or performance report developing.
• A vast knowledge and understanding of online communications content production
(copy writing and basic visual design).
• Proven ability to write communication materials in Simplified Chinese and English.
• Proven experience working with CRM system and email marketing tool.
• Experience in implementation of effective stewardship programmes that create and
enhance lasting relationships and are resourced effectively to create opportunities
for consistent and meaningful interactions with supporters.
• Current marketing knowledge of private philanthropy partnerships in China
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong analytical, written and verbal skills.
• Fluent in Chinese and English.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
• Professional experience within advertising agencies, international corporates or
• Experience running digital marketing programs for customer acquisition and support.
The successful candidate will be based in Beijing, China.