SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, Development and Value Chain (20-72)
CIP, Assam, India
International Potato Center (CIP) is looking for a creative and enthusiastic Senior Research Associate specialized in Development and Value Chain who can contribute to understanding and using the potential of potato markets and market-based interventions to reduce rural poverty in Assam, India.
The Project: The Assam Agribusiness and Rural Transformation project (APART) is a comprehensive development project involving national and international partners funded by the World Bank. The project objective is to add value and improve resilience of selected agriculture value chains in targeted districts of Assam. CIP’s engagement is to provide technical backstopping, innovations, and capacity building along the entire potato value chain to increase its productivity and improve the livelihoods of small-scale and marginal farmers. CIP will work in close collaboration with Assam government, university and private sector partners.
The Position: This position will be based in Guwahati, India and will report to the Project Manager. The selected candidate should have a deep commitment to advancing rural development with smallholders. He/she will have proven experience in designing and implementing research on markets and value chains, smallholder’s production systems, and small and medium rural businesses, including cooperatives and producers’ associations. Candidates with experience in gender relations and consumer-oriented research, including nutrition, will be prioritized. The candidate will work with interdisciplinary science teams at CIP’s regional office in New Delhi, India and headquarters in Lima, Peru. The work duties include frequent travel within Assam.
• Supervise a team of researchers and technician who execute a project to guarantee its correct development and outcomes.
• Produce scientific papers to be submitted and published to contribute with the dissemination and knowledge of the research project.
• Provide oversight and guidance to researchers to contribute with their professional develop and research projects deliverers.
• Advise and provide feedback to the projects activities to achieve the results expected.
• Facilitate and provide relevant information about the available resources to support the research project.
• Develop policy analysis, research and evaluation plans to guarantee the researchers and technicians have a protocol to follow while doing the experiment.
• Develop experiment trials to guarantee the proper development of the research experiment.
• Comply with applicable health and safety CIP policies and procedures.
What are we looking for?
• Master’s degree in agricultural economics or social sciences and related fields, preferably with undergraduate in agriculture or rural development.
• At least 8 years relevant research experience in markets and value chains, including linking producers to consumers through participatory approaches.
• Experience in working with private sector partners for post-harvest and value chain innovations.
• Good data management and statistical skills and proficiency in the use of key software applications (MS Word, MS Excel)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and Hindi (knowledge of regional languages would be an advantage).
• Extensive experiences in training programs and ability working in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.