Supply Chain Management Advisor (Category Management)
UNOPS , New York, United States
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary of key responsibilities:
This position is in the Office of Supply Chain Management (OSCM) within the Department of Operational Support (DOS). The Supply Chain Management Advisor for Category Management will transition the project into mainstream and will perform the following duties:
- Maintain the Category Management Operating Model defined for the Secretariat, making updates to templates as required.
- Work with Category Manager and Category Teams to develop and establish category strategies based on rigorous analysis of spend data, supply market dynamics, category intelligence and business requirements.
- Establish mechanisms for mainstreaming Category management beyond the project phase of implementing the defined category strategies.
- Facilitate the implementation of Industry best-practices in the area of Category Management by conducting information sessions in dedicated business areas identified under the framework of Category Management at the UN secretariat.
- Develop strong working relationships with all stakeholders within OSCM/DOS, DMSPC, and other UN Secretariat entities while establishing a collaborative forum with all DOS clients, and external partners to accelerate development of Category specific strategies.
- Develop procedures for mainstreaming the tool and processes that are being used to help with market analysis, demand analysis, category strategies and sourcing strategies that support multiple solutions for each category.
- Expand the Secretariat Category Management roll out plan to include other UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes to build toward a vision of a single Category Management framework for the entire UN Family.
- Facilitate category strategy development according to the established operating model with category teams; Proactively evaluate progress, build contingency plans, and monitor issue resolution and mitigates risks.
- Develop strategy for capacity building and long term strategy for training needs to enhance the category management capability in the UN secretariat.
- Produce periodic reporting and monitoring of the implementation of category strategies, including the estimation of ongoing value for the UN secretariat.
You may find more information at
- Advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) preferably in Business Administration; Social Science, Marketing, Management, Supply Chain Management or related field.
- A first level university degree with 2 additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced Degree.
- SCOR-P certification is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with progressively increasing responsibility in the area of project management and/or category management for multi-national organizations in the public and/or private sector is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with progressively increasing responsibility, demonstrating the ability to clearly and effectively present to senior leaderships and to drive decision making with senior management is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with progressively increasing responsibility, demonstrating strong prioritization skills and ability to manage senior stakeholders, including stakeholder timelines and meeting management skills is highly desirable.
- Experience in category management or management consulting related to development of category strategies and sourcing plans is highly desirable.
- Experience in strategic sourcing, contract management and vendor negotiations is required.
- Ability to develop business cases, should-cost models/perform complex data analysis and build decision matrix is highly desirable.
- Experience in purchasing systems and supplier management tools is desirable.
- Advance proficiency in Microsoft applications: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Fluency in one or more official UN languages is desirable.