Syria - Senior Project Manager
COOPI - Cooperazione Internazionale, Syria
COOPI is active with its humanitarian action in Syria (Damascus) since January 2017; started with an AICS-funded project in the FSL sector; then implemented a first assistance FS project in Eastern Ghouta promoted by OCHA. Currently COOPI is extending its presence in FSL and Protection.
COOPI is currently implementing these projects:
- Food Security/WASH/PSS integrated approach programme in Eastern Ghouta (ECHO-funded);
- PSS activities and Protection services in Eastern Aleppo (UNHCR-funded).
COOPI is aiming at extending its programme with particular focus to its commitment in the Food Security/ Livelihood and Protection sectors. Negotiations in progress with several donors.
The Project Manager will have direct responsibilities on the ECHO project coordination and implementation (integrated approach Food Security, Livelihood, Protection, WASH) and on the UNHCR project (Protection), with main office based in Damascus and project based in Nashabye, Eastern Ghouta (ECHO) and Eastern Aleppo (UNHCR).
Project planning and management
- In cooperation with the project staff, he/she plans and monitors the activities’ progress, in compliance with the contract signed with the donor and with COOPI and the donor’s procedures.
Administrative and financial management
- He/she regularly monitors all made expenditures;
- He/she supervises accounting and the project cash safe/bank account management and, where there was no dedicated staff;
- he/she directly manages the accounting and the project cash safe/bank accounts, making use of the instruments made available by the organization;
- In cooperation with the Project Administrator and in coordination with the HQ Administrative Coordinator he/she prepares the Purchases Plan;
- He/she ensures the organization and donor’s procedures respect when purchasing goods and services.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and in compliance with the country’s rules/laws and with the COOPI’s regulation in the country, he/she selects the local staff to be employed in projects, and manages any other project’s expatriate staff;
- He/she evaluates the local staff employed for projects and he/she participates to the evaluation of his/her own project, upon request by his/her direct supervisor;
- He/she coordinates and supervises the work done by all the project staff, in compliance with the organization’s security procedures;
- He/she is responsible for the initial and continuous training of the local staff under his/her responsibility.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and with the Administrative Coordinator, he/she ensures the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of all financial and narrative reports – interim and final – expected by the project;
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of all formal communication and contract modifications requests (ex. budget modification) of the projects he manages.
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Minimum 3 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Experience of working in project management on one or more among the main donors, with priority to ECHO and UNHCR;
- Experience in Food Security and Livelihood and/ or Protecion projects management will be a strong asset;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Ability in project management (logistics, programme, reporting, staff management);
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Institutional relations management and cultural context understanding;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills.
- Remuneration and benefits: Europeassistance insurance; A/R flight.
- Transportation and Accomodation: Guesthouse.
- Leaves and RnR: R&R policy active in country (5 days every three months).