Systems Administrator, IT Operations
Bridge International Academies, Telangana, India
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
The main purpose of the role will be to provide systems and infrastructure technology support within the organization, comprising systems integration (esp. 3rd party systems), server monitoring and cloud data centre support, enterprise network design/implementation/analysis/management, operating systems, and web applications.
The person in this position will design, install, configure, maintain, and troubleshoot systems and infrastructure under supervision and provide customer support for application, server, and network related services (in conjunction with our AWS data centre specialists). Further work on daily tasks and ongoing upgrade and integration projects. Daily tasks include operational support for servers, directory services, email and DNS service support, and systems monitoring.
What You Will Do
- Perform system installations, maintenance, training, and user support within a defined application environment
- Produce enterprise-level designs for Active Directory and Windows File Services for global initiatives following those through to implementation
- Designing, installing, provisioning, configuring, optimizing, performance tuning, integrating, and administering AD solution technologies
- Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our wired and wireless networks’ quality and reliability
- Monitor and maintain performance & capacity at our local office installations in Africa and other countries to ensure maximum efficiency and operational uptime. Analyzes system capacity and ensures performance of operating environments
- Enforces the standards, security procedures, and controls for access to ensure integrity of the Windows Systems, Active Directory, and related systems
- Administer and manage Server System(s) and the various interactions between system applications and business processes
- Collaborate with data centre staff to configure, install, maintain and upgrade servers (Linux and Windows) and relevant software
- Oversee infrastructure services such as data center servers, regional servers, email, and active directory environments
- Perform moves/adds/changes to the converged architecture as required
- Plan for system updates and maintain Systems and Network topology drawings that facilitate integration and review
- Install and configure systems that supports network management applications
- Participate in system maintenance/optimization/performance activities of the enterprise infrastructure
- Install applications on servers and configures applications to communicate with clients, and other servers as necessary
- Conduct disaster recovery tests and business continuity planning to assure systems availability and high uptime
- Liaise with 3rd party vendors and support teams in addressing system challenges including planning for changes and upgrades
What You Should Have
- Must be able to comprehend network architectural drawings
- Experience working with Microsoft Identity technologies including Active Directory and related AD Administrative tools, DNS, DHCP, Group Policies, and Security Groups
- Good knowledge integrating Active Directory with AWS and other services
- Extensive knowledge of AD Architecture, PowerShell, TCP/IP networking, Virtualization and
- Cloud services including Storage and backup e.g VMware, Hyper-V, SNMP and WMI monitoring
- Able to proficiently assess application security, internal audit, and business line requirements to ensure all projects meet corporate IT security guidelines
- Work and collaborate effectively in a team oriented global technical support organization
- Have a good understanding of Internet technologies such as cloud computing and storage
- Must be a person that has a good understanding of disaster recovery including business continuity planning strategies
- A good understanding of Linux and Windows Server operating systems to the extent of installing and hardening the systems
- A good understanding of change management processes in a collaborative environment
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.