Temporary WASH Project Assistant x2
Save the Children, Somalia
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Role Purpose: To contribute to Save the Children's capacity to meet its drought response, integrated Lifesaving Assistance for drought and conflict-affected populations and child survival objectives in Somaliland, Through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation.
The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation FFO and other programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children's core programme sectors of health, education, FSL, child protection and hunger reduction where required to save lives, alleviate suffering and maintain human dignity in communities experiencing humanitarian crisis or that are food insecure
Contract Duration: 4 Months
Qualifications and Experience
- A suitable educational qualification in community health, public health, nursing, social science.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience with INGOs in implementing and coordinating hygiene promotion activities, including programme design, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to write clear, well-argued assessment and project reports,
- Monitoring and evaluation skills including knowledge on KAP surveys
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SCUK. In particular, a good understanding of the SCUK mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Computer literate
- A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
- Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
- Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
- Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents