Warehousing and distribution team lead, GHSC-PSM
Chemonics , Alabama, United States
Chemonics seeks a Warehousing and Distribution (W&D) Team Lead in support of the Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement Supply Management Project (GHSC-PSM) based in Arlington, VA. As a senior member of the Systems Strengthening team, the Team Lead will provide oversight and technical support to the Distribution and Transportation, and Warehousing and Inventory Specialists in their work across GHSC-PSM teams to meet country needs for delivering and storing health commodities and provide systems strengthening technical assistance. The Team Lead reports directly to the Systems Strengthening Director. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
As a senior member of the Systems Strengthening team, the W&D Team Lead will work with and through their direct reports and key field office staff to manage 1) GHSC-PSM communities of practices and 2) technical working groups (TWGs) co-chaired by USAID, to support warehousing and distribution across all country programs through:
Set and refresh global system strengthening technical strategies for the GHSC-PSM project; assist the country teams to develop their own technical strategies and inform work plans in line with the global strategies.
Provide technical assistance, tools, training, skills transfer, and project management expertise to help country teams implement technical activities.
Monitor ongoing engagement with the country teams on technical progress toward long term goals of self-sustainability and provide additional guidance/support as required.
Contribute to thought leadership through curating, creating, disseminating, presenting and publishing technical knowledge.
Capture and share the ongoing work of GHSC-PSM, including lessons learned, and stay apprised of best and promising practices in relevant local, regional, and international contexts for dissemination across programs.
Ensure that GHSC-PSM’s provision of technical assistance builds country capacity to secure access to quality commodities through:
- Development of global technical strategies for warehousing and distribution that drive best practice and systematically prioritize and sequence interventions to maximize the return on investment, retain value, enhance impact, and improve sustainability;
- Coordination, management, and delivery of technical assistance related to country level systems strengthening in the warehousing & distribution of health commodities;
- Provide and/or oversee W&D in-country technical assistance to support government-led health supply chains
- Oversee the implementation of a participatory and “co-creation” approach throughout all activities to support GHSC-PSM’s Supply Chain Management team at project headquarters as well as GHSC-PSM country offices as they work to develop the maturity of country health supply chains.
Assist with sourcing and briefing short term technical assistance (STTA) providers on global technical strategies; debrief STTA providers and work with country teams to help implement recommendations.
As needed, provide technical assistance to country office staff and governments and other country stakeholders, in the following PSM warehousing and distribution-related activities:
- Use an evidenced based approach to support development of national health supply chain strategies and associated multi-year work plans that evaluate the current state of the systems and map a pathway to an agreed, desired and optimized design for the future
- Evaluate alternative ownership and management models for warehousing and distribution to include 3PL and 4PL models by applying data driven decision making and cost considerations, including options for outsourcing, management contracts, and vendor managed inventory
- Collaborate with the Data Analytics team to utilize optimization analytics to improve operations and networking of warehouses and distribution
- Lead the development and implementation of appropriate warehousing and distribution studies in countries to determine strengths and weaknesses and identify technical assistance gaps in the areas of logistics and management information systems
- Liaise with GHSC-PSM’s Global Supply Chain Team to share experiences and facilitate the introduction of best practices to Supply Chain Management team where applicable
- Elevate the global technical strategies on systems strengthening for the GHSC-PSM project with thought leadership
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required
Bachelor’s degree plus minimum 10 years of relevant experience required; additional commensurate experience may be used in lieu of a bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree in supply chain, business, organizational behavior, or other relevant area preferred
Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: freight logistics, private sector logistics, transportation, pharmaceutical supply chain management and/or supply chain systems strengthening in developing country contexts
Supply chain experience specifically in resource-constrained countries strongly preferred
Strong knowledge of activity-based costing, 5S workplace organizational theory, and Lean methodology strongly preferred
Understanding of USAID and other Federal Acquisition Rules and Regulations preferred
Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
Proficient in Excel, word processing, and presentation applications
Demonstrated independent thinking, judgment, and respect for others
Willingness to work in less developed countries for up to approximately 8 weeks per year
Demonstrated leadership, versatility and integrity
Working proficiency in French, Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred