Terms of reference
Job Title: WASH expert
Duty station: 25% Sana’a and Aden and 50% Ibb and 25% Al-Turbah
Starting date: 01/01/2021
Contract duration: 9 months (renewable)
Reporting to: PM OFDA (hierarchical), Programme Coordinators (North and South, for other WASH activities)
Supervision of: National staff teams for WASH activities.
General context of the project
Yemen's war shows no immediate signs of abating. Yemen announced its first case of the COVID-19 respiratory disease on 10 April 2020, as aid organizations warned the country's health system, which has all but collapsed since the conflict broke out in 2014, is ill-equipped to handle the crisis. The coronavirus is clearly present in Yemen, but with little testing and limited transparent disclosure on the actual identified cases. It is clear that a COVID-19 outbreak among an acutely malnourished population will have catastrophic consequences. Among the most vulnerable people to the virus at this time are the displaced families who have fled their homes over the years of fighting, with many of them now living in makeshift camps which struggle to access basic services. In many IDP sites there is no water available and sanitation condition are very bad; while we are at the beginning again of cholera season.
The proposed project aims at an integrated multi-sector response (nutrition, protection, livelihoods (ERMS) and WASH sectors) within Ibb and Taiz governorates, further building on the achievement of the previous OFDA funded actions, enlarging the geographical coverage area in order to address specific gaps and needs, covering Dhi-Sufal and Sayyani districts in Ibb governorate (under de-facto authorities control) and Al-Shamaytain and Ma’afer districts in South Taiz, further newly adding, Al-Qahira and Al-Mudhaffar districts in Taiz city (these last 4 districts are under IRG control).
General purpose of the position
The WASH expert must ensure that the project meets minimum standards, in a cost effective and timely manner to the benefit of conflict affected communities in Ibb and Taiz.
The WASH expert is assisting the Project Manager on the management, strategic programming, implementation of WASH activities and achievement of objectives related to the WASH component in the geographic area of competence, as well as in the identification and formulation of new interventions in order to improve the WASH conditions of the target population according with INTERSOS protocols and the Country Strategy.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Designs and improves the technical engineering implementation aspects of the INTERSOS WASH Program in Yemen.
- Ensures the project will satisfy the needs of the beneficiaries. Provides oversight of water source construction and sanitation projects to ensure quality and acceptance.
- Organize, manage and monitoring the WASH project activities in Yemen central region, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined project strategy as well as INTERSOS and donor guidelines;
- Undertake a detailed technical assessment of the WASH needs and gaps for assistance in the project target areas to define the exact locations of intervention and the beneficiaries;
- Coordinate with the logistic, administration and finance staffs to procure all equipment, supplies and materials required to implement the WASH project activities, ensuring cost efficiency and accountability in compliance with INTERSOS and donor regulations and procedures;
- Undertake daily field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as regularly monitor the progress of the WASH project activities;
- Continuously assess the WASH needs of the target populations in the project areas, periodically update the WASH situation analysis and inform the programme accordingly;
- Work closely with the colleagues to ensure the integration of the WASH project activities with other sectors;
- Train, coordinate and supervise the WASH project national staff in Yemen and evaluate their performance.
- Support the management in preparing the narrative and financial reports with reference to the WASH project component, according to INTERSOS and donor requirements;
- Support the HoM on the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and programme in reference to the WASH Sector providing technical inputs and recommendations for new and ongoing interventions in the country.
- Upholds a high standard of quality by ensuring all programs refer to technical standards, conform to government standards, and are aligned with internal and external strategic objectives.
- Support and develop capitalization of WASH activities in the mission
- Proactively participate in WASH cluster and relevant inter-sectoral coordination meeting at national, governorate and hub level.
- Required profile and experience
- MA in Engineering, Geology or other relevant studies Specialized studies – courses on WASH in emergencies, Public Health, WASH Academic
- Minimum 3 years of experience in humanitarian WASH programming, including access to safe water, improved sanitation and environmental health programming
- Prior work experience in complex humanitarian setting – in the field
- Prior work experience in the Middle East is highly desirable.
- Prior work experience in cholera outbreaks response
- Proficient in Auto CAD, EPANET 2, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Arabic would be asset (read and write)
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- People Management and Leadership
- Strategic vision and planning
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- High respect and adherence to confidentiality
- Able to work independently
- Readiness and ability to move around in Yemen
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS