CARE is Looking for Area MEAL Assistant
CARE , Syria
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. CARE provides cross-border humanitarian assistance in Syria, and refugee assistance within southern Turkey to people affected by the Syrian crisis. In response to CARE increased Syrian response cross-border humanitarian works the program is now endeavoring to undertake an inside NW Syria direct implementation to address humanitarian needs, enhance the quality of our programming and maximum response capacity and support to CARE’s partners. We are looking for a trustworthy, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the Area office in the capacity of MEAL Assistant to be based in Jarablus, northern Aleppo, Syria.
The Area MEAL Assistant will be part of the Area office team and report directly to the Area MEAL officer with technical reporting line to MEAL unit at the country office. The Area MEAL assistant under the supervision of the Area MEAL officer will be responsible to implement a functional MEAL system at Area level. S/he provides support to the program team in designing, monitoring and evaluating all projects’ interventions. Moreover, he/she works with the direct supervisor in the coordination and/or the implementation of projects’ baselines and evaluations, as well as the implementation of standardized MEAL processes and tools for all sectors at field level.
The post holder under the supervision of the Area MEAL Assistant will work to continuously assist improve project level MEAL with specific focus on the following areas; qualitative and quantitative data collection, assessment scheduling and coordination, data analysis and use, and quality monitoring. The MEAL Assistant will ensure that all assigned CARE activities in northern Aleppo are continually monitored for their effectiveness and appropriateness and that lesson are documented and communicated to inform on-going implementation and future programming.
The person is expected to have strong interpersonal skills, understanding, cooperative, organized, a high ability to work within a team to take initiative and skills in influencing to support policy and advocacy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
job Responsibility #1 MEAL System running and maintenance 60%
- Assist coordination of monthly data submissions from all CARE teams in assigned project.
- Assist with development of tools, checklists and monitoring forms, sector-specific log frames, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and plans.
- Assist the production of MEAL led reports making key information accessible to stakeholders for program review and design.
- Assist MEAL officer on work streams to develop/refine quality and accountability elements.
- Assist MEAL officer to develop all required MEAL tools per grant, including but not limited to baseline surveys, M&E frameworks, assessment tools, data collection tools etc.).
- Conduct regular visits to distribution and project sites to collect data using quantitative and qualitative assessment tools and support with analysis and dissemination of findings. Using observation checklists, surveys focus group discussions, etc. monitor:
- Validity of selection process for locations and households
- Effectiveness of cash/voucher and non-food item distributions
- Effectiveness of protection activities
- Satisfaction of intended beneficiaries and stakeholders with CARE’s projects
- As instructed, work closely with Accountability Assistant and project Officers to ensure quality data, analysis and reporting.
- Maintain verification standard operating procedures to ensure appropriate verification of distribution projects.
- Assist in training of CARE teams.
- Support the program colleagues at area office level in identifying the appropriate methodology for data collection activities on outcome level in coordination with M&E unit at country office level.
- Ensure up to date Results workbooks (RWBs) for assigned projects agreed with program teams, as well as the regular tracking of project indicators and progress.
- Strengthen data analysis and use across the program by ensuring program teams have the MEAL information they need for program review and design.
- Encourage a culture of data use and evidence-based decision making by using and displaying updated data in the office to demonstrate progress and areas of concern.
- Assist in ensuring that all the relevant CARE and program staff know, meet, and apply CARE MEAL minimum standards and requirements.
- Ensure assigned projects indicators including donor & CARE’s indicators is being tracked, reviewed and stored in online platform following CARE’s archiving structure.
- Ensure proper scheduling of monitoring and evaluation activities per project
job Responsibility #2 MEAL Data gathering, Information sharing and reporting 20%
- Participating in grants opening meetings, grants review meetings, and grants closure meeting at area office
- Assist Area MEAL officer to compile the area office progress and achievement for output and outcome data.
- Assist Area MEAL officer to Consolidate the program monthly achievement against indicators and targets and support in reporting figures for actualized logframes when needed.
- Maximize the use of the data collected from the feedback handling mechanism by sharing trends, findings, and recommendations for programs.
- Conduct routine field visits to ensure data collection quality and M&E ethics.
- Plan and conduct monitoring visits as per M&E work plans per project ensuring that quality data and analysis is submitted to the MEAL Coordinator.
- Conduct interviews with direct and indirect beneficiaries to get feedback on quality of CARE’s programs and suggestions for improvements.
- Ensure all monitoring visits in ending with a report highlight the results and main findings of the trip based on data collected from the field in addition to MEAL officer observations.
- Contribute to program updates for response management and internal information sharing, including 3Ws, communications information.
- Coordinate the application of CARE verification standard operating procedures for all assigned projects.
- Under the supervision of the MEAL Coordinator, participate in field-level assessments, including baseline, mid-term, end-line, KAP and post-distribution monitoring surveys.
- Work with data team on ensuring the CARE projects are using the right beneficiaries lists and databases and collecting the minimum gender and age disaggregated data as per CARE’s requirement.
- Ensure data management procedures and projects have set timelines and meet established deadlines for Donors and for CARE.
- Feedback to Data Management team all data related issues and concerns, and work with them on improving the data quality and reliability.
job Responsibility #3 Evaluation, Learning and other duties
- Ensure all field activities are ending up with final reports.
- Ensure MEAL reports are shared with programs on a timely basis for their review and feedback
- Work with MEAL team on ensure MEAL reports are meeting CARE’s quality standards and program needs
- Flag any issues or MEAL related concerns to the Area MEAL Coordinator on timely manner.
- Implement assessments, surveys and evaluations, including facilitating itineraries, training field staff for data collection; facilitate focus groups and other qualitative data collection exercises, under the guidance of the MEAL Coordinator
- Ensure the Area program team learns from all evaluations of completed projects for decision making and improvement of project designs.
- Facilitate all assigned projects based assessments, evaluations and research including planning and reporting on the same, with guidance of the MEAL Coordinator
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability and CARE’s Framework on Accountability to Affected Populations.
- Comply with CARE policies and practices with respect to gender and diversity, child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, and equal opportunities.
Required: University degree in a relevant field (Computer Sciences, Social Work/Social Sciences, Information Management, Statistics etc.) or any other relevant major.
- Strong data management visualization software (PowerBi & Tablue).
- Certification in project management or MEAL related technical course.
- At least 2 years of experience in MEAL, data management, with 1 years in MEAL Department.
- Experience of working in camps.
- Experience of working with software or programming.
- Can-Do Attitude
- Excellent proven communication skills, including working with multiple stakeholder groups, including children.
- Excellent computer skills, especially in MS Word, MS Excel, Access and MS Outlook.
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to handle a high workload and to work independently.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure.
- Ability to work well in unstable and changing security environments.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
- Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application
- Strong team player, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships within a distributed and dynamic team.
- Ability to organize and plan effectively
- Competence with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Fluent in Arabic and highly desired to have good English language skills
Child Protection Policy**
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation. Discrimination, Abuse, and Harassment Policy CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.