Country Director - Zambia
NCA , Lusaka, Zambia
Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) and Danish Church Aid (DCA) have been working together with strong partnerships in Zambia since as early as 2003. For the last 17 years, we have been working closely with a range of faith-based and secular partners within two overall strategic priorities, Gender and Economic Justice. Through a joint office and country program, NCA and DCA work together to empower rights-holders, especially women and youth. Through strong networks and alliances within Zambian civil society, we uphold and protect people’s dignity and promote their active participation in the development of their country. The Joint Country Program (JCP) Zambia is a fully merged country programme where funding, technical advice, lobby & advocacy, communication, administration is shared and coordinated. NCA is the lead agency. Our programs focus on Gender Justice (including gender-based violence), Climate-Smart Economic Empowerment and Fighting Inequality.
As our new Country Director in Zambia, you will represent JCP to donors and regional partners while providing effective leadership to the JCP’s country office of highly qualified staff members. The role is a hands-on position and your success will be determined by the level of direct engagement in fundraising for new projects, program development, oversight of a highly competent staff, and representing the JCP to stakeholders. As Country Director, you will seek to be influential with our partners, as well as government, in order to develop, improve, implement and manage the current and future program structure within the current political climate. You thrive in evolving and challenging environments, have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, and have excellent skills in retaining and developing relations.
In NCA, we seek leaders who are motivated by our vision, our work and our values, and who wish to take part in developing our organizational- and leadership culture. In order to reach our goals, we need leaders who are able to set direction, lead change, develop organizational culture and use our human and financial resources in the best possible way.
The position is a three-year contract, based in Lusaka. This is a family duty station and we provide a living cost allowance as well as comprehensive pension and insurance plan. This position is for expats only.
Start date: February 15, 2021
- Relevant higher university degree
- Documented experience as a Country Director
- Contextual experience is an advantage (Southern Africa, regional)
- Solid experience in program management as well as experience working with financial management and administration
- Proven experience working with multiple organizations and delivering key statistics and achievements to both
- More focus on specific details of operations
- Exceptional networking skills and experience in maintaining donor and key stakeholder relationships
- Understanding the need to explain and make difficult decisions and owning them
- Motivated by managing and developing personnel towards achieving common goals
- Ability to inspire and build capacities among staff and partners
- Culturally sensitive and diplomatic with excellent communication and decision-making skills
- Loyal to Norwegian Church Aid's Christian values and accept the Code of Conduct
- Important and exciting tasks within a humanitarian response
- Important role in a very visible organization, internationally
- Good insurance and pension benefits
In accordance with core humanitarian principles, NCA implements a range of safeguards to prevent or reduce the possibility of humanitarian aid falling into the wrong hands. This includes those individuals and groups who are subject to sanctions by the United Nations Security Council. As part of this process, NCA will screen the details of the successful candidates for this post against the sanctions lists maintained by the UN and by some of NCAs governmental donors.