COUNTRY HR BUSINESS PARTNER
Oxfam GB , Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers, and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
is a member of of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the . In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
The Human Resources Team is responsible for delivering on people strategy; ensuring efficiency and effectiveness of human resources management and operations in-country through timely human resources planning and implementing administrative processes, policies, procedures and systems.
The purpose of the Human Resources team is to maintain a fair, equitable and positive work environment for all employees and volunteers, promote living Oxfam’s values and feminist principles, provide professional and business-focused organizational development and full HR services and manage employee relations issues effectively. Oxfam in Ethiopia HR is composed of Country office HR and Field-based HR team and closely work with the Regional and EA People’s team.
Country HR Business Partner is to support the overall people strategy of the HR team by providing strategic support and advice on a broad range of employment issues. To be a trusted partner with the Country Director and the Country Leadership Team (CLT) on matters of organizational design and development of the Country Programme, and on strategic HR related matters across Oxfam in Ethiopia. Working in close partnership with the Regional and EA HR team, giving detailed advice and problem resolution on complex and sensitive HR policy interpretation and procedural issues.
Drawing on deep functional HR process, policy and Labour law knowledge and understanding, and as custodian of HR policies and procedures in-country, deliver the HR country plan to ensure organizational effectiveness. **
The person will also ensure that all teams within the Country Office are working effectively in line with Oxfam’s code of conduct and working culture. Accountable for working with peers to ensure that the design of Oxfam in-country enables effective programme delivery, engages and rewards performance, and working across the different functions, advocates continuous learning, knowledge management, retention and Career development.
To be a member of the Oxfam Ethiopia Country Leadership team and play a key role in translating Oxfam’s long-term People strategy into Oxfam in Ethiopia Operational Plans and contribute to the delivery of the overall country strategic plan.
What the recruiting manager has to say about the role?
Oxfam Ethiopia is currently engaged in a strategic planning process for 2021 - 2030, to create a bold vision of what we want to achieve over the coming decade in line with Oxfam’s global strategy and in response to the country's current socio-economic analysis. The scale of change is likely to be significant. We will be looking at and working with all our functions to consider how best to deploy our skills, resources and the passion of our staff and volunteers, to maximize the impact we have for the people we exist to serve.
To support our work, we are looking for an experienced and visionary HR Business Partner to provide expert operational and strategic HR support and advice and support the country programme effectively deliver the people strategy. In this role you will work with a diverse team and different functional units ensuring that our people management approach is a core part of Oxfam’s overall business strategy. You will have a demonstrable strong track record in building credibility at all levels, as well as delivering value-add HR projects which support our strategic objectives.
You will be organized, resilient and proactive with a can-do attitude, and respond positively to
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel to Oxfam’s field operational offices.
As per Oxfam’s National Salary Scale and Benefits Packages (Attractive)
Fixed-term contract for 2 Years with the possibility of a contract extension
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at the interview stage
This role reports to:
OI Country Director
Staff reporting to this post:
Senior HR Officer, HR Officers and Matrix manage Field-based HR officers and HR Assistants
Annual budget for the post:
As per the delegation of Authority
Internally: Directly work with the Country HR Team, closely work with the Country Leadership Team and maintains close collaboration with OI regional, EA and PA HR Leaders. Externally: Engage actively with the INGOs HR Network, CSA and relevant government ministries for a work permit and other HR-related collaborations.
All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter-terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
Should you be successful and not already employed by Oxfam GB, we will require a minimum of two references covering five years of employment history.
DBS checks (for roles based in the UK): N/A
- Ensure that Oxfam’s Country Strategy has a clear People vision and aligned with Oxfam’s People’s strategy
- To partner with the CD/CLT in the creation of HR solutions for Oxfam in Ethiopia and implement all changes necessary at the country level for Oxfam’s strategic vision
Leading the HR function
- To lead the HR team, to deliver HR priorities and plan, aligning team objectives with organizational goals and global, regional HR priorities, managing and developing direct reports to deliver agreed objectives; responsible for the management and development of the team, and driving strong HR business partnering and professional people management standards and processes across the country;
- Provide facilitation at CLT level, especially with regards input on people management issues
- Provide the CD, other senior managers and HR staff with sound and effective advice on all
- Employee relation issues
Organizational Effectiveness- Design, Culture & Change Management
- To partner and advise the CD/Country Leadership Team on the design and full implementation of organizational development initiatives and departmental restructures within country;
- To design policy and process framework for all types of organizational changes;
- To partner and advise CLT on aspects of culture change and development as they relate to the Country Programme
HR Policies, procedures and systems
- Lead and support the implementation of Global and Country HR policies and procedures for all employees to include organizational design; resourcing; reward and benefits; performance management; change management; learning and development and occupational health and staff well-being
- Ensure HR policies and processes reflect Global HR Standards
- Oversee establishment, maintain and ensure compliance of HR policies and practices with country employment legislation
- Oversee the implementation and management of the Oxfam in Ethiopia HRIS
- Consult and negotiate with staff associations and individuals when appropriate in the formulation and implementation of new policies
Reward & Benefits
- Establish and maintain effective job evaluation and benchmarking processes for all offices in line with Oxfam's salary policy.
- Manage the annual salary review process in line with Oxfam salary policy and work closely with the OL Reward Shared Services and make recommendations to the management on remuneration decisions.
- Oversee implementation of OI international pay review for the country staff
- Ensure periodic full review of salaries and benefits to ensure continued alignment with the desired market position that enables the organization to attract and retain the best caliber staff
- Ensure the implementation of pension arrangements, as approved within policy and in line with contractual agreements
- Ensure the provision of salary information for the creation and management of staff budgets
Resourcing and Talent Mobility
- Develop strategies in harmony with Global, regional and national talent and resourcing strategies to enable Oxfam’s short- and long-term ability to attract and retain the best caliber staff;
- Oversee the policies and processes used in recruitment and selection, including the expansion of innovative methods of recruitment such as having a greater Social Media presence, talent management strategies, etc.
- Lead the HR team in partnering with program managers to ensure recruitment processes are as effective as possible in achieving their desired outcomes
- Monitor Equal Opportunities and other legally based policies to ensure compliance with country legislation and best practice
- Work in partnership with EA and OI colleagues to develop an effective and consistent approach to induction
Talent & Performance Management
- Partner with CLT to create a positive organizational culture that prioritizes talent and people management within Oxfam
- Ensure the implementation and develop effective performance management processes for all staff
- Provide advice and support to managers on good management practice, and a strongly accountable performance management culture.
Learning and Development
- Consider organizational development needs for effective leadership and management
- Develop and manage Oxfam’s Training & Development budget, policies and processes
- Provide guidance, advice and support to managers and employees on development planning
- Actively practices and support mentoring, succession planning and management development within the scope of responsibility and region
Occupational Health, Safety, Security & Staff Well-Being
- To partner with Line Managers and the Security Focal Point to measure and promote effective strategies to encourage health and well-being amongst the staff.
- Manage relationship with external occupational health and counseling and personal support specialists (Employee Assistance Program)
- Provide guidance to managers on Occupational Health issues
- Oxfam Country HR lead for Crisis management
- Partner with the Safeguarding Team/Focal Points to ensure the implementation of the Global Safeguarding Policy and effective processes and support mechanisms for the management of safeguarding cases
- Manage the annual HR budget, including organizational contingency budget lines such as maternity cover, staff welfare, staff benefits, learning and development and redundancies etc as per the delegation of authority.
Your commitment to Oxfam
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Essential - Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Competencies
- Master’s degree (MA) from a Recognized University/Collage in Human Resources Management, Business Management, Leadership, Business Administration, or any other relevant areas that can bring added value to the job.
- At least 10 years of proven strategic and operational HR management experience and at least 7 years at senior management/leadership capacity who has facilitated organizational change and managed HR teams in an INGO context
- Experience in HR policy development and implementation in the areas of resourcing, reward and benefits, performance management, change management, learning and development and occupational health and staff well-being
- Experience in working HR Information Systems (HRIS) and substantial knowledge of the concepts of national employment law
Leadership and Management
- Proven leadership, management, negotiation and coordination skills (of people and projects) in a complex multi-stakeholder, networked, global and largely virtual environment
- Good understanding of management roles and dynamics in organizations
- Experience in developing HR strategies and plans
- Experience in managing and developing teams, including direct line management
- Experience in leading and managing conflict resolution
- A team player with an initiative to find and implement solutions in complex and diverse circumstances
- Experience as a senior business advisor towards management on strategic HR including change Management and organisational development.
- Able to provide leadership and direction on all HR issues at the same time while balancing the strategic role with the need to deliver effective day-to-day HR services
- Proven strong analytical and conceptual thinking
- Ability to liaise with a wide range of people, both internally and externally at very senior levels (OI, Executing Affiliate and other senior organizational leaders) with credibility, tact and diplomacy
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and facilitation skills with demonstrable ability to lead, persuasive influence, teambuilding and motivate others
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, able to explain complex technical/legal issues, and build a considered analysis of taking different approaches
- A professional qualification in Human Resources Management will be a strong advantage.
- Member of the national/global Human Resources Professional Associations
- Experiences in International Humanitarian Organization