EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT NE REGION
CARE USA, New York, United States
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE.
We’re looking for a dynamic, visionary leader and fundraiser with demonstrated ability to think boldly, take risks and use entrepreneurial approaches to aggressively increase revenue. CARE’s Executive Director of Resource Development of the Northeast Region is passionate and inspired by CARE’s mission to defeat poverty, achieve social and gender justice around the globe. They will be charged with significantly expanding its donor base of high net worth individuals as well as family and private foundations. This seasoned, well-connected and highly personable fundraising professional will also develop and implement a visibility strategy in the region resulting in greater awareness of CARE’s mission among UHNWI as well as family and private foundations. Skilled at creating and sustaining interpersonal relationships, the Executive Director will have a strong track record of fundraising success in closing multimillion-dollar gifts. Over time, the Executive Director, with a high performing team, will achieve increasingly greater fundraising goals in the Northeast Region and work closely with CARE’s Fundraising Leadership Team and with counterparts from other geographic regions.
- Donor Prospect Pool: First and foremost, identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a substantial and strong pool of high-level donors with a primary focus in New York, Boston and Philadelphia. Secondarily, identify new key prospects across the Northeast region and significantly build the scope and depth of the donor base.
- Staff Leadership & Management: Lead, develop, build and empower a team of diverse top fundraising professionals to stimulate breakthrough strategies and achieve progressively higher fundraising goals.
- Personal Portfolio: Identify, qualify and actively engage in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of 80+ major gifts from individuals, planned giving prospects as well as family foundations. Inspire donors to engage with and support CARE’s mission and vision.
- Regional Fundraising: Work with the regional team to set and achieve Northeast Region fundraising goals including individual giving, planned giving, and gifts from family and private foundations. Become conversant with planned giving strategies and blended gifts.
- Visibility: In partnership with the media, advocacy and the fundraising teams, develop and lead the implementation of a visibility strategy resulting in greater awareness of CARE among high net worth individuals and family and private foundations with emphasis on New York, Boston and Philadelphia.
- Cultivation & Stewardship: Develop and successfully implement innovative and effective donor engagement strategies that lead to first time gifts and progressively higher levels of giving.
- Donor Engagement: Maintain an active schedule of personal visits and one on one engagement opportunities with donors and new prospects.
- Cross Departmental Communication & Coordination: Work effectively across the organization to identify gift opportunities; learn and effectively utilize fundraising operational support, processes and procedures; acquire information needed for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors; and create opportunities for high level donors to interact with senior leaders and board members.
- Next Generation Donors: Create and implement breakthrough strategies to effectively penetrate and creatively cultivate the next generation of donors.
- Financial Management: Develop and closely monitor the Northeast Region budget and revenue projections.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Knowledge of/experience in international development preferred
- Visionary and inspirational fundraising leadership with a minimum of seven years of staff leadership experience and a track record of leading a team to achieve significantly higher levels of performance
- Demonstrated ability to form meaningful relationships with a portfolio of individual prospects of
- significant influence, affluence and access resulting in major gifts and planned gifts
- Minimum of ten years of fundraising experience that includes major gifts from individuals, planned gifts and gifts from family foundations resulting in multimillion dollars in revenue
- A visionary leader and fundraiser with demonstrated ability to think boldly, take risks and implement new ways of identifying, reaching and creatively cultivating and engaging a portfolio of 80+ high net worth donor individuals including million-dollar prospects