Head of Programms
Oxfam GB , Erbil, Iraq
Together we can beat poverty for good. Will you join us?
HEAD OF PROGRAMMES
Closing date: - 03 January 2021 - Midnight
Interview date: - TBC
Vacancy reference: - INT7207 - Head of Programms
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more.
And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
To support conflicted-affected populations access appropriate and equitable assistance that meets humanitarian needs and reduces underlying drivers of conflict at all levels.
To manage and build Oxfam's longer-term development programme and ensure that Oxfam is able
to response to the on-going conflict in Iraq through administrative and technical support to humanitarian + development programme staff and partners in the field.
Responsible for designing, ensuring management and coordination of effective and appropriate interventions. This includes strategic humanitarian and development management, fund-raising, co-ordination of programme management and implementation, supporting in the development and implementation of the country strategy, supporting operations of Program Managers and partners, advocacy and ensuring programme implementation is consistent with Oxfam’s mission and goals
Location: Erbil, Iraq (min 50% Field base)
Salary: AS Per Oxfam Salary Scale
Internal Grade: C1 Global
job Family: Programme
Contract type: Fixed term contract – 1 year
Hours of work: 40 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage
This role reports to: Deputy Country Director
Staff reporting to this: 8 Field/Area Programme Managers.
Annual budget the for post: Country budget +/GBP 21 million
References: Should you be successful and not already employed by Oxfam GB, we will require minimum of two references covering five years of employment history.
DBS checks (for roles based in the UK): N/A
It is a requirement in the UK for a new DBS check at enhanced level for every new member of staff who works directly with, or has regular contact with, children or vulnerable adults in the UK (consistent with DBS guidance and relevant law).
• Representing Oxfam with relevant stakeholders Government officials, Donor Officials, UN agencies and other NGO staff at National level in relation to programmes.
• Ensure the role has impact and influences both your own team but also in other parts of their program area and/or external public. And to take part in public campaigns based on agreed plan of action and objectives.
• Ensure that Oxfam is known and respected for the work conducted.
• Develop and maintain new relationships with individuals and organisations to further Oxfam’s aim.
• Ensure that government agencies and civil society organisations are adequately involved in project activities.
• Ensure that Oxfam is adequately represented in formal coordination activities including clusters and informally recognised by stakeholders including local NGOs, INGOs and UN.
• Ensure the adequate inclusion and development of implementing partners towards the independent execution of programme activities.
• Host and lead media and donor visits effectively to contribute to strategic planning.
• Work closely with colleagues in the Country / Geographic teams, the post-holder will have strong cross organizational relationships with various work groups including advocacy & policy staff, technical units and business support.
Leading Programme Delivery and implementation:
• Effectively manage and lead Field/Area Managers to deliver multiple donor programmes that cover a combination of Humanitarian and Development interventions (WASH, emergency and long term livelihoods, Governance, Protection, Education etc.)
• Provide support and involving others in discussing how to take work forward, helping people feel part of the team and treating everyone equally.
• Influence others to develop shared understanding and work cooperatively and collaboratively towards common goals where there are different personal or organisational agendas.
• Manage the donor contracts assigned to you - ensure effective implementation, financial management in each Programme area.
• Ensure that each Area programmes have workplans and supply plans in place to ensure effective programme delivery.
• Establish an effective monitoring system to ensure programmes are delivered and impact and learning is recorded.
• Take required action to ensure timely implementation of activities when required.
• Ensure that all activities are sensitive to community needs and gender issues, promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and ensure that Oxfam's Programme is an opportunity for peace making, not community division.
• Coordinate to support departments (Logs, HR, Finance and IT) in Erbil to ensure the programme receive the necessary support.
• Coordinate and finalise the Donor reporting for Donor contracts under your management.
• Ensure excellent Financial Management – check all monthly reporting and clearly explained and address over and underspends to management.
Strategic planning and development:
• Maintain situational awareness including current and upcoming opportunities, economic and political developments, humanitarian risks and challenges
• Provide evidence and analysis for the development and implementation of current and future
Oxfam programming both for longer term development and humanitarian shorter term interventions
• Conduct oNGOing monitoring and assessments and provide clear analysis of the humanitarian situation and of the Oxfam response oNGOing and proposed. This will include strong consideration of gender and protection issues.
• Work with Managers and Technical coordinators to strengthen, refine and define the Country Strategy which incorporate both long term development goals and requirements to meet humanitarian need.
• Review on a regular basis the programme strategy for each base under your management.
• Coordinate the development donor funding proposals in line with the Country strategy and funding opportunities and needs with Technical Coordinators.
• Develop contingency plans and exit strategy to cater for upcoming risks and future developments.
• Work with Area Managers to build local capacity of staff and partners.
• Coordinate with Security Adviser to assess, monitor and analyse security situations.
• Support the evacuation of staff.
• Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of their roles in the Security Management Plan and Field Office Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Manage security incidents in line with SOPs and OXFAM policy.
• Ensure Staff welfare in field bases: acceptable accommodation, living conditions and supply of food.
• Ensure staff understand and adhere to Oxfam Code of conduct and all policies governing appropriate behaviour and conduct (Child protection, Exploitation & Abuse).
• Actively implement Oxfam GB’s diversity policies in the recruitment and employment of staff , in also the programme delivering.
• Maintain contact with authorities and other agencies and ensure that Oxfam complies with relevant legislation and that its activity is understood and publicised.
• Ensure all programmes are compliant with legal, Oxfam and Donor regulations.
Communicating Oxfam’s work and contributing to Oxfam strategy:
• Manage Oxfam GB’s contribution to Oxfam International’s work, represent and develop good relationships with official authorities and other agencies, be proactive in ensuring that Oxfam develops and maintains a positive profile.
• Identify and conduct impact assessment initiatives and ensure effective communications about programme impact with stakeholders within and outside Oxfam.
• To remain informed of relevant programme issues and to contribute to wider programme learning.
Your commitment to Oxfam
• Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.+
Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences
Essential - Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Competencies
Experience of working in Iraq or in another conflict programme.
Graduate Degree from a recognised University/college in international development, economics, management or any other related area that can bring added value to the job
Experience managing large humanitarian programmes, and an understanding of relevant issues, especially in a conflict setting.
Knowledge and experience of longer term development programming in either Livelihoods/agriculture development, civil society development, Governance and wash.
Relevant experience of 7 years for Post graduate holders, or 10 years + for Degree holders, including budgeting, planning, programme cycle management, preferably in an international NGO out of which at least 5 years should be supervisory/managerial experience
Proven programme and project management skills including planning, monitoring, evaluation, budgeting, proposal development and report preparation, particularly in complex emergency environment
Experience of using accountability practices and standards through the project life cycle.
Strong skills and experience in capacity-building of staff and partners, including coaching and on-the-job training
Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and understanding and experience of humanitarian standards and accountability initiatives, including Sphere, People in Aid, NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, etc
Knowledge of gender, wash and the livelihoods approaches in emergency and recovery.
Professional experience living and working in disaster/conflict affected countries.
Experience of strategic planning and management of large and complex budgets.
Experience of distance management of staff.
Excellent communicator with strong written and reporting skills, and an excellent ability to influence verbally to persuade with diplomacy and tact
Experience in fast-paced and difficult emergency contexts
Adaptable in approach to work with a willingness to work under pressure in a demanding environment
Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems
• Experience of managing of water and sanitation and hygiene promotion, emergency and longer term livelihood programmes.
• Knowledge of Arabic.
• Promotion of civil society and Governance programmes.
• Working and developing national partners.
• Advocacy and policy work.