Danish Refugee Council, Sevastopol', Ukraine
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a Livelihoods Assistant for a 5-year USAID funded comprehensive livelihoods project that aims to improve the overall economic resilience of eastern Ukraine. The position is based in Severodonetsk.
About the job
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Ukraine DRC operates since 2007. From 2015 on, DRC has successfully implemented livelihoods programmes aimed to provide IDPs and conflict-affected populations with income-earning opportunities, thus strengthening their resilience and reducing their dependence on traditional humanitarian aid. Livelihoods Assistant reports to Team Leader - Livelihoods.
The Livelihoods Assistant will serve as the project’s grassroots community relations development representative. The LLH Assistant in cooperation with LLH Officer will facilitate grant making activities, local economic development and community visioning for stakeholders, including local business, communities, government bodies and non-profit organizations. The LLH Assistant will also support in selection of beneficiaries, monitoring and follow-up of the project grantees, various assessments initiated by the project and evaluation of the economic impact of the funded initiatives. You should at the same time promote DRC's values through various entry points in the project and preserve staff moral and enthusiasm for the project work.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Together with the Livelihoods Officer based in Severodonetsk, ensure smooth implementation of the project activities;
- Support information dissemination and outreach activities to ensure active participation of the beneficiaries in the programme;
- Participate in the selection process of the project beneficiaries and participate in the assessments as required;
- Make oNGOing SWOT assessments on the community level, determining opportunities for project interventions amond a wide variety of stakeholders;
- Work with local stakeholders to conceptualize solutions and prepare grant applications packages;
- Provide a bridge between stakeholders and project’s grannts and procurement staff to ensure compliance with all rules and regulations;
- Assist recipients with implementation, collection of monitoring and evaluation data and grants close out;
- Work with project’s community visioning and economic development teams to identify opportunities;
- Support the organization of project events and public relations activities on the local level;
- Coordinate the implementation of the project activities with other implementing partners and stakeholders in Luhansk oblast;
- Maintain good working relations within DRC and other organizations in the area of responsibility;
- Understand and ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct;
Perform other tasks as requested by DRC management.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have experience in grant making programmes in the field of technical assistance; passion for helping people and communities to improve their lives, impeccable integrity and honesty and great people skills. All employees should master DRC's core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
University degree in economics, public/business administration, or other related field;
Knowledge of livelihoods interventions in Ukrainian context, good understanding of possible durable solutions for conflict-affected population;
Understanding of the Ukrainian legislation on IDP integration strategy and regional development;
At least 2 years of overall working experience;
- Experience in working with IDPs and conflict-affected population;
- Good communication, presentation and reporting skills;
- Full working proficiency in both oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian (equally important);
Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
Knowledge of the project cycle management;
At least 1 year of work experience within an international humanitarian/development organization;
Practical understanding of the needs and concerns of the private sector;
Experience in development and management of grant-making programs;
- Experience in collaboration with government entities;
- Experience in training/coaching and research/analysis;
- Extensive networks in public and private sectors;
- Small business / micro-finance / budget management qualification will be an advantage.
Contract length: 1 year with the possibility to extend
Start date: ASAP
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff; please refer to
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
ATTENTION: Though external and internal candidates are equally encouraged to apply for this position, in case of equal level of qualifications and interview performance the preference will be given to an internal candidate. Closing date for applications: 26 May 2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit