Nutrition Coordinator Syria - based in Amman
GOAL , Amman, Jordan
Nutrition Coordinator Syria - based in Amman
12 months contract
Nutrition Coordinator - Syria (based in Amman)
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate and Norther Aleppo , both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
Currently GOAL works on nutrition issues through its food security and micronutrients programs and is looking to extend the nutrition programming in 2020-2021. The Nutrition Coordinator will play a leading role in program design and developing a strategy for GOAL’s nutrition interventions.
Under the supervision of Syria Program Director, the Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring the high-quality implementation of GOAL's nutrition programme, including support to design and planning, implementation and reporting, and staff supervision and coordination. The Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring the timely implementation of activities and that these are carried out in line with GOAL guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The Coordinator will be responsible for providing needed technical support to GOAL’s nutrition team in Syria and support the implementation of training to build the team capacity and performance. The Nutrition Coordinator will work closely with the other program departments to ensure nutrition sensitive activities are integrated as much as possible, particularly for food security and cash and voucher assistance. In addition, the Coordinator will work closely with the Global Nutrition Adviser to continuously improve the programme policies and procedures.
Duties, objectives, and competencies
Provide strategic direction to the Nutrition Programme:
- In collaboration with GOAL’s global advisors, oversee and manage all elements of the Syria nutrition program, including the team in line with the organisations global goals.
- Take ownership of and finalise the development of an evidence-based nutrition strategy, designed specifically for the Syrian context to guide programme direction.
- Ensure that GOAL’s nutrition programme remains in line with guidance from the Nutrition Cluster and global technical bodies, is in line with GOAL’s global strategy responsive to data generated from the field and is attainable given donor priorities.
- Review use of GOAL’s four pillars within program design of ‘how’ we work, using a systems approach, fostering inclusion, working to increase resilience and facilitating social and behaviour change.
Overall responsibility for the implementation of the Nutrition Programme and achievement of results:
- Ensure the implementation of the Nutrition programme through all stages of the project management cycle.
- Work with MEAL to develop appropriate MEAL tools, to enable timely data analysis and subsequent data use, with a focus on a) assessment of quality of activities, b) reflection on whether change is being achieved and c) demonstrate the achievement of results to report on deliverables,.
- Work with the M & E Department to strengthen and maintain a project monitoring and evaluation system, including an effective field reporting system that will enable measurement of progress at output and outcome levels.
- Lead timetabled review meetings, sharing updates, experiences and discussing adaptive management of the program.
- Lead on development of learning documents, based on MEAL data generated in collaboration with reflections from program staff. Share learning with HQ and other countries as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain project tools which support project implementation and review of progress. Support the field teams to prepare programmatic work plans, target tables and project budgets specific to their areas of focus.
- Manage the project budget through approving expenditures in accordance with GOAL policies and reviewing monthly budget versus actual reports, comparing with time and targets achievement.
- Liaise with other departments including finance/administration, procurement and human resource departments to ensure adequate support for all project activities.
- Assess the training needs of nutrition staff; develop a training program to meet these needs; conduct nutrition training for project food security and nutrition staff .
- Ensure GOAL Syria’s nutrition activities support GOAL’s global strategy. In particular, ensure that global goal 3 ‘Food & Nutrition Security’ is addressed cohesively, using global guidance to support this achievement. Also review how nutrition focused actions can be harnessed to also support global goal 2 ‘Resilient Health’ as appropriate.
- Ensure that all GOAL mainstreaming policies are incorporated in all proposals and activities developed
- Lead the development of a referral mechanism and communication strategies for referrals between GOAL and other nutrition facilities actors in the ground.
- Prepare and provide regular monthly progress reports in coordination with relevant departments.
Management and leadership:
- Provide overall leadership to the Nutrition Department, approaching the role with energy, professionalism and enthusiasm to create a positive and high performance environment.
- Manage departmental resourcing ensuring careful HR planning to meet the needs of the programme.
- Work to ensure that all project job vacancies are filled in a timely fashion through coordination with the HR Department through the recruitment process
- Ensure work plans are in place for all project staff to reflect objectives and that mid-term reviews and annual appraisals are completed for all direct reports.
- Provide remote monitoring of staff performance and achievements against work plans and provide on-the-job feedback and instigate corrective measures to ensure the optimal productivity and efficiency of staff
- Foster a stable and participatory working environment by promoting experience sharing and lessons learnt.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for the technical development of project staff, organise capacity development and provide remote training as required.
- Participate in the external coordination Clusters with nutrition partners and governmental bodies and provide technical support and guidance in the nutrition sub-committee and cluster, where relevant
- Ensure information is circulated to the field teams appropriately, and that information is fed from the field teams to senior management.
- Liaise regularly with GOAL’s global nutrition technical team to ensure appropriate technical support for the program.
- Degree level qualification in nutrition, science, public health, medicine, or any other relevant field
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience in nutrition or health related humanitarian programming with at least one year experience in a programme management or coordination position.
- Experience of training, leading review meetings and workshops
- Experience of budget management, project administration, logistics and Human Resources management
- Strong experience in people management and demonstrable capacity for departmental leadership.
- Strong analytical and writing skills. Experience of proposal writing, log frame development and donor reporting.
- Excellent IT skills, including strong knowledge of MS Office applications
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and training skills and a track record of building/developing cohesive teams
- Good communication skills (written, spoken), including excellent writing skills in English.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively to the field (up to 30%).
- Arabic language skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated capability in capacity building.
- Willingness to take responsibility for personal security and adhere to GOAL’s security guidelines.
- Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
- Applications are strongly encouraged from female candidates.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.