Political Economy Advisor
CTG Global , Mudug, Somalia
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Somalia is amid major new political & security developments that will offer a greater possibility for peace & security than the country has seen in over 20 years. The FGS, established in 2012 & international community have driven a process of rebuilding of functioning govt. institutions & processes through Somalia’s peacebuilding & state building priorities under the Somali Compact (2013 - 2016), based on the Busan “new deal for engagement in fragile states” agreement. The Somalia national development plan (2017 - 2019), builds on this foundation laid by the compact & sets the priorities for national recovery & development in full collaboration with national & regional govt's. A landmark electoral process in late 2016 & early 2017 resulted in a peaceful transfer of power to a new President & govt., in place since February & March 2017 respectively. The govt. has set out an ambitious agenda for its term (the period to 2021). At the London Somalia conference in May 2017, a security pact was agreed by Somalia & the international community, which will allow for sustainable, long term security based on mutual accountability.
- Our client is largely focused on assisting partners with the implementation of physical infrastructure projects including construction & rehabilitation of rule of law infrastructure, transport infrastructure (roads, airports) & public administration infrastructure. They also play a leading role in supporting the Somali govt. & the UN assistance mission in Somalia in rule of law programming, including through the delivery of police stipends, procurement of non lethal supplies & logistics through the Joint Police Program (JPP).
- Our client is responsible for strategic management & delivery a significant security & justice reform program portfolio. Included in that are 2 programs, the Somalia Security & Justice Program (SSJP) & Joint Policing Program (JPP) under the direction of the Director of Security & Justice.
- SSJP is a UK bilaterally funded program managed by our client to support establishment of sustainable development of security & justice system in Somalia. The program aims to strengthen & expand the foundations of sustainable police & justice agencies across Somalia with more accountable, affordable, able & acceptable policing & justice systems in targeted areas that provide a visible security presence & facilitate access to justice, including for women & vulnerable populations as defined in the theory of change of the program. The program guided by 5 principles in provision of technical assistance, Developing Somalia human resource & administrative capacity, strategic directions, communications, relationship, margining the political economy & inclusiveness of Somalia citizens.
- The JPP is a Somali owned, Somali led program with our client being the secretariat. The aim of the JPP is to support the FMS police develop the police service across Somalia by bringing together donor funding to allocate resources against agreed Somali priorities & build a stronger strategic partnership between the international community & Somali police. The JPP coordinates donor funding, enabling the efficient & effective allocation of resources against agreed Somali priorities. The JPP contributes to a capable & accountable security sector, with full respect for human rights & the rule of law, a crucial element in establishing long term peace in Somalia.
The purpose of the assignment is to provide strategic advice to the senior security & justice program leadership to ensure the program reflects local political & social realities, capitalises on strategic & political opportunities & manages risks appropriately. The Advisor will work under the direct supervision of the Director of Security & Justice & provide support across a range of security & justice reform efforts, including the JPP & SSJP. The Advisor must be self directed & able to deliver the following results at pace:
- Support & advise the Director of Security, Justice & other key staff in setting strategic direction & priorities, in ensuring that reform programming works politically.
- Maintain & facilitate relationships & constructive engagement for program leadership with a wide range of relevant Somali stakeholders, including in FMS govt's, CSO's & private sector organisations.
- Provide regular & insightful political economy analysis, which aids decision making & defining direction of programming or activity.
- Work directly to facilitate & enhance constructive dialogue & cooperation between the FGS & FMS on priority reform issues.
- Identify & facilitate links between our clients security & justice reform efforts to existing political, social & / or policy initiatives, as well as to existing coordination forums. These should include formal structures & processes but may also include facilitating understand & / or engagement with wider informal forums.
- Work closely with client staff, as well as with key Somali & international stakeholders, to ensure effective delivery of security & justice reform objectives, identifying crosscutting issues & ensuring they are delivered sustainably & effectively across the full spectrum of relevant client programming.
- Produce high quality, concise & impactful political economy or policy analysis, in writing & / or verbal briefings.
- Support knowledge management, M&E efforts across both programs.
- Support & advise our clients communications teams to ensure content & delivery of key messages is appropriate & impactful.
- Identify & develop new opportunities for our client’s security & justice reform programming to contribute to the development of the Somali security & justice sectors.
- Project reporting is as per the above expected output requirements, guidance & request by the Director of Security & Justice.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 7 year of experience in Asia (desirable).
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations, Political Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, Law & or related relevant discipline OR a minimum of 7 years of relevant progressive experience in strategic advisory, operational, capacity building roles in governance, security & / or justice sector.
- Experience in strategic & development planning & implementation in security & / or justice sector in fragile context will be highly distinct.
- Demonstrable experience engaging with a wide range of international & Somali stakeholders to inform program design & to facilitate reform / change processes.
- Demonstrable knowledge & understanding of Somalia context & political economy, at FMS level.
- Ability to develop & effectively communicate political social economy analysis.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a multicultural environment, including communication skills & the ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting.
- Negotiation skill mainly in engagement with govt. partners will be highly desirable.
- Flexibility, including demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to adapt to changing work & project circumstances & respond to unforeseen developments is an asset.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant progressive experience in strategic advisory, operational, capacity building roles in governance, security & / or justice sector.
- Demonstrable knowledge & understanding of Somalia context & political economy, at FMS level.
- Fluency in both English & Somali language (both written & spoken).
- Working knowledge of additional UN or regional languages is considered an asset.
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. For people managers only. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilising appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.