Programme Manager - Iraq
INTERSOS , Maysan, Iraq
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
job Title: Programme Manager
Duty station: Mosul 60% and Erbil 40%, with frequent field visits to Hammam Al Ali, Telafar, Sinjar, Hatra and Ba'aj districts/sub-districts.
Starting date: 01/01/2021
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Country Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: 3 Protection Managers, 1 Education Manager, 3 Programme Officers, 1 Project Medical Referent
Dependents: Non-family Duty Station /non-accompanied
General context of the project
INTERSOS is operating in Ninewa governorate since 2017. The activities started in IDP camps south of Mosul and Mosul city, and then expended in Telafar city, Rabia, Ba'aj, Hatra and Sinjar. Currently, INTERSOS is working in Ninewa within three sectors, Protection, Education and Health, and is counting around 200 Staff members deployed in the above-mentioned locations. The main office is located in Mosul and the field offices are in Hammam Al Alil and Telafar.
General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the position is to ensure the implementation of funded projects in IDP camps and urban areas in Ninewa governorate. The PM will be responsible of the activities planning and monitoring; ensuring the quality of implemented activities in compliance with donor's and INTERSOS regulations, relevant Standard Operating Procedures, Sphere Standards, International Principles and Guidelines, INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics. He/she will also be in charge of staff supervision and evaluation, of ensuring a proper management of the allocated budget to achieve the planned objectives as per work-plan, frequently reporting to the SMT (this position is part of the SMT in Iraq) on the implementation level and main constraints faced at field level.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Supervision of Protection, Education managers and programme officers in the implementation of activities
- Budget management
- Recruitment, training, supervision and evaluation of the project staff team, including identification of capacity building gaps and implementation of related training sessions.
- Maintaining relations pertaining to the protection/education intervention in Ninewa and Sala Al Din with the donor and key stakeholders at the governorate and field level.
- Coordination with the other protection/education interventions in Kurdistan and Iraq.
- Reporting for internal and external purposes
Project activities planning, implementation and monitoring
- Preparing regularly update of project activities work plan and related financial plan with the contribution of the Managers and program Officers ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined project strategy, as well as INTERSOS and donor guidelines
- Guarantee the application of procurement procedures and donors rules for reporting and implementation
- Periodic field visit to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with the internal and donors' standard
- Preparation of proper and timely report to be submitted to the Country program Coordinator and to the donor.
- In collaboration with M&E officer, develop tools to assess, analyse and evaluate the impact of the project, the evolution of the crisis and related evolving needs of target populations in the project areas.
- Work closely with others PMs to ensure the integration of the project with other mission's ones and/or with other sectors of intervention
- Managing budget properly to achieve the project's objectives. Supporting eventual budget and program revision.
- Support the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and program, providing updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country, with special focus on the protection response to the IDPs and Refugees crises.
- Identify capacity gaps in key national staff and support actively their capacity building.
- Train, coordinate and supervise the managers and evaluate their performance.
- Ensure the project's staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics
- Prepare the project narrative and support in preparing financial reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements.
- Ensuring all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents are properly filled in and filed.
- Contributing in preparing and submitting new project proposals
Coordination and representation
- Along with the Managers and officers, establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donor officers, local authorities, local institutions, partners, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas
- Participate in meetings with relevant donor's program and finance officers at central or field level following Country Program Coordinator guidelines. Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national, regional, governorate and field level as required.
Required profile and experience
- University Degree in international cooperation, political sciences, humanitarian crisis management, human rights law, international relations or equivalent
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience with INGOs in project management
- Previous working experience in Iraq is an asset
- Proven experience with UN agencies (including Pooled Fund projects), ECHO, and cluster system
- Proven experience in budget managing and coordination
- Experience in coordinating staff, working in multi-cultural environment
- Technical experience in Protection, Education and Health is an advantage
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- A high degree of flexibility and ability to work in insecure environment
- High confidentiality, respect and non-discrimination attitude
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility to spend most of the time in field bases (Mosul, Hammam Al Alil, Telafar, Sinjar)