Project Accountant, SCOPE - Kenya
World Relief, Nairobi, Kenya
Implemented by World Relief in Haiti, Kenya, Malawi and South Sudan, the USAID funded SCOPE project seeks to use and improve existing private and public health systems, working with health service providers to co-train community health actors and strengthen policies to improve access to services. SCOPE increases demand for services by training mothers and caretakers on preventative health measures and health seeking behavior change. SCOPE provides this training through some of the most trusted voices in the community: religious leaders and neighbors and will improve advocacy efforts at various levels of the Ministry of Health through strong local partners - churches, religious networks, and Christian Health Associations. These local partners are essential for SCOPE’s collaboration, learning, and long-term sustainability.
The SCOPE Project Accountant is responsible for the accounting, and reporting functions of the SCOPE project grant to ensure adherence to budget, compliance with World Relief policy and procedures and USAID Rules and Regulations. The position reports to the Country Finance Manager with interaction with the Home Office International Finance Team and the SCOPE Finance and Operations Manager located in Baltimore.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Verify all supporting documents for authenticity before entering them in the organization’s accounting software.
● Verify accounts by reconciling statements, transactions and supporting documents
● Prepare check and cash payment vouchers and allocate expenses to proper accounting codes for all financial transactions in line with budgets and project documentation
● Posting of Journals as directed by the Finance Manager
● File and archive all accounting and supporting documents appropriately
● Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Reporting and Compliance:
● Visiting Field Locations to provide support and ensure compliance on grant spending
● Prepare programs budget pipelines and management reports for review by the Finance Manager before submission to Program Managers and SCOPE Operations & Finance Manager
● Maintain financial security by following internal accounting controls
● Ensure that VAT invoice fulfill VAT claim requirements, prepare and follow up VAT claim on quarterly basis in collaboration with the Finance Manager
● Ensure that all accounting requests from HQ for finance supporting documentation are sent in a timely manner to the International Accountants
Budget and Forecasting:
● Work with Program Managers and Finance Manager to create cash forecasts for the project to ensure needed cash is received from HO.
● Prepare Monthly Budget vs. Actual (BVA) Reports on the project for review by the Country Finance Manager, Program Managers, Country Director and SCOPE Finance and Operations Manager.
● Work with Program Managers and Procurement Department to ensure that procurement's are made in a timely manner, adhering to WR Policy and USAID regulations, communicating with the SCOPE Finance and Operations Manager if additional approvals for HO or USAID are required prior to any procurement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Finance with International NGO work experience required. CPA preferred.
● Proven Experience in fund-based accounting.
● Prior Experience working on USAID, OFDA, EU or other Grants or Projects.
● Proven Experience in Computerized Accounting.
● Excellent skills in MS office especially MS Excel and Word.
● Excellent written and oral English skills.
● Adhere to all policies and procedures, which govern World Relief.
● Strong commitment to World Relief’s Values
● High level of integrity and sense of confidentiality.
● Initiative, excellent organizational ability, with attention to details
● Excellent interpersonal skills for team work in a multicultural environment
● Self-directing, reliable and responsible
● Strategic thinker, patient and self-controlled.
● Resourcefulness-Ability to find alternate solutions to problems.
● Attention to details-Ensure nothing is missed or overlooked.
● Persistence- Ability to follow up on getting results without being confrontational.
● Discretion-Be trustworthy enough to handle confidential information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
• The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
• The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
- General office setting, 40% field experience, including too fragile environments
- Great lengths of time working on the computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or skype meetings may be required.
- Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
- Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
- Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.