Regional Finance Officer, West Africa
CRS , United States
job Title: Regional Finance Officer, West Africa Regional Office
job Type: Regular, Full Time
job Location: West Africa or Telecommuter
Reports to: Deputy Regional Director Management Quality
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As the region’s financial controller and expert, you will provide overall strategic financial management di rection and will support the regional and Country Programs’ (CPs) efforts in ensuring that the agency finance strategy is implemented throughout the region in support of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. Your expertise will help ensure the implementation of robust financial policies, procedures and practices put in place to control an increasingly complex and challenging funding and operational environment.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
* Monitor, analyze and provide guidance to regional and CPs’ Senior Management Teams, project leads and CP Finance leads on budget development and management; accounting and financial reporting policies, tools, and guidelines; and cash flow/treasury management to ensure effective financial resources management throughout the whole budget cycle and over the life of various projects.
* Review and assess CPs’ financial management systems, policies, processes, and practices, and assist with resolving issues and implementing preventive and corrective actions to ensure consistent attainment of financial management ‘standards of excellence’ and compliance with agency and donor financial management requirements.
* Prepare and provide accurate and timely regional-level financial analysis reports and other reports on financial trends and indicators to provide guidance with decision-making and efficient and effective financial resource management.
* Lead on assessing professional development needs of Finance staff in the region and ensure focused plans for mentoring and capacity building to strengthen financial management service quality.
* Act as the regional liaison and a key point of contact on all finance-related matters with HQ, donors, internal and external auditors, and other external stakeholders.
* Provide guidance to CPs on risk management and internal controls in preparing for internal and external audits and in responding to audit issues and follow up with the implementation of the audit recommendations.
* Make significant contributions to the agency Finance Community of Practice and CRS Global Finance agenda.
* B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent) required. MBA or Master’s degree in related field with a focus on accounting preferred. A professional certification in Accounting or a related field highly preferred.
* Minimum of seven years of accounting experience in an international operations environment.
* Additional education may substitute for some experience.
Required Languages – Excellent English and French language oral and written communication skills required
Travel - The position requires 20-30% travel within the WARO region, as well as attendance at internal and external conferences and workshops, when requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent relationship management skills with ability to negotiate, influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision
* Excellent strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions
* Very good review, monitoring and planning skills with a strong eye for detail
* Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
* Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Supervisory Responsibilities: Regional Finance Manager and Regional Finance Analyst
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Deputy Regional Director, Operations, Regional Director, Sr. Director, for Overseas Finance other HQ Finance units, HQ finance and grants analysts, Deputy Regional Director (PQ), HQ Overops, CRs, HOPs, HoOPs, FMs, Business Development Team, Regional Technical Advisors, and HQ Internal Audit.
External: Sub-recipients (including Catholic Church partners), donor representatives, external auditors and financial training and systems vendors.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.