Rehabilitation Trainer - IRAQ
HI, Kurdistan, Iraq
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
job CONTEXT :
In Iraq, HI has been registered and operational in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) since 1991, implementing development programming in the governorates of Dohuk, Erbil, Sulaymaniya and Halabja, in order to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities and improve their access to services through support to Disabled Persons Organizations (DPOs). Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations. HI has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, Sulemaniya and Diyala Governorates.
In line with HI Iraq’s Operational Strategy for the period 2017-2020, the global objective of HI programming in Iraq is to enhance the protection and resilience of conflict-affected communities in Iraq; an objective achieved through an operational framework of three central pillars:
1- Arms Risk Reduction: Reduce the impact of the Conventional Weapon (CW) and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) for conflict-affected populations through Risk Education and land release
2- Health: Improve access to specific services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the provision of physical rehabilitation and Mental Health/Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services
3- Access to Essential Services: Ensure equal access to essential services, protection and basic needs for all conflict-affected populations, including persons with disabilities
These pillars are complemented by three cross-cutting themes: a comprehensive approach to mine action, inclusion mainstreaming, and protection mainstreaming
Kirkuk is the biggest project of Iraq Mission active in almost all HMA components under of Protection, Health and Livelihoods Clusters. Our interventions spread to all districts of Kirkuk Governorate mainly in District Hawija, Daquq and Kirkuk. By the support of local partners (local administrative authorities, municipalities, Directorate of Health, Education and Mine Action) HI is supporting IDPs, returnees and local communities in…
1- Improved access to and quality of physical / functional rehabilitation and mental health services through enhanced technical expertise, training, advocacy, referral systems and victim and accident information management.
2- Improved safe access of local communities to land released through the reduction of the threat posed by Explosive Ordnance including IEDs
3- Increased awareness of the population on the risks and threats posed by Explosive Ordnance including IEDs through Risk Education
4- Civil society engagement, advocacy, development and inclusion services
Reporting to the Area Manager, as the rehabilitation trainer, you contribute to the implementation of the mandate and the country strategy for rehabilitation. You ensure optimal quality of the rehabilitation aspects (focusing on training) of projects implemented in Kirkuk.
You will be responsible of :
1: Support Capacity development of Rehabilitation services:
- You assess the physiotherapists’ capacity and prioritize training needs for an effective implementation of rehabilitation care in coordination with the Project Officer, Project Manager and Rehabilitation Coordinator;
- Under the technical guidance and supervision of the Rehabilitation coordinator, you develop and contextualize training packages and resources to meet training needs
- You deliver these trainings to partners’ rehabilitation staff in methods, approaches, tools and techniques useful for the project implementation (including on-the-job training);
- You support the establishment of treatment protocols, ensure that the therapists properly use the available equipment; and follow treatment protocols
- You support partners to develop structural and organizational rehabilitation development plans, including, treatment pathways that include, assessment, objective setting and discharge planning.
2: Ensure quality of service delivery:
- You provide on-the-job and structured follow up trainings to national PTs to ensure quality of services
- You prepare, organize and follow-up the national PTTs work plans through regular observations and clinical supervision
- You regularly directly supervise the work of national PTTs and in coordination with the Project Officer and Project Manager conducts QA of staff performance and set out individual staff performance and development plans.
- You ensure holistic and comprehensive approach to rehabilitation services through coaching of staff
- You ensure rehabilitation service management in accordance with the established management system
- You ensure regular use of the management tools including patient file, assessment, data collection and statistics for reporting.
3: Ensure effective external and internal coordination & collaboration:
- You represent HI in meetings or events in hospitals or area of when requested by Project Manager
- You coordinate with the rehabilitation and medical team in hospitals or sites in area of intervention
- You ensure that a harmonized technical message is provided during these meetings and that HI speaks in a common voice on technical issues.
- You regularly report on the above activities (statistics, weekly situation report, regular review of monthly objectives, etc.) as requested by your line manager
- You monitor and ensure the technical relevance, quality of HI’s intervention and HI’s guideline implementation.
- You provide regular reports on clinical supervision provided for the PT and other Rehabilitation staff;
- You provide reports / summaries of training given and keep data records on capacity-building activities.
- You contribute to other reports & documentation upon request.
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold a degree diploma in Physiotherapy
- You have at least 2 years of experience in trauma, post trauma rehabilitation services / management
- You have experience as a trainer of adults in field of expertise
- You have previous experience in physiotherapy of persons with injuries in conflict situations within INGOs
- Experience in the region (especially working within a similar healthcare and educational system) would be a strong asset
- You are able to work under high pressure and without constant supervision
- You are fluent in English (oral and written), Arabic would be an asset
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
1- Insecurity in Kirkuk governorate, mainly due to criminal activity, presence of armed groups in the outskirts particularly Daquq and Hawija district. Security and contingency plans in place to minimize risks and impact of incidents. There has been increasing trend of ISIS activities like IEDs, SAF, coordinated attacks on security forces in month of April and May however the trend has been declined again from last week of May 2020.
2- Restricted movement in Kirkuk town and curfew in place. Pre validated locations in place Field support to program activities, security permitting with phone and GPS tracking procedures in place for all the movements
3- There is a well-equipped Guesthouse in Kirkuk with a small but active humanitarian community and some facilities available such as gym and easy access to shops, good internet connection and satellite TV.
· Starting date : 01/10/2020**
· Length of the contract: 6 months
Salary from 2031€ gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
Perdiem allowances : 530 € (net)
Hardship allowance : 500 € (net)
Insurances: health coverage, planning, repatriation, retirement (if senior volunteer).
Paid holiday : 25 days per year
R&R : 5 days every 3 months
Status : position open to unaccompanied
Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI**