Senior Coordinator – Accounts
CIAT , Uganda
About the position
The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT is seeking to recruit a qualified person to fill the vacancy of Senior Coordinator (Accounts) to oversee finance operations in the Alliance office in Uganda. The Senior Coordinator (Accounts) is part of a dynamic finance team based at the Uganda office and will have the responsibility of leading, mentoring, coaching and motivating the Uganda finance team towards providing a timely and efficient finance service that contributes to the effective fulfillment of the Alliance of Bioversity and CIAT mission in Africa. The position reports to the Regional Finance Manager and works closely with the Accounting and PLANS (Project Financial Analysis and Support) units based at the Alliance Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Under direct supervision of the Regional Finance Manager, the specific roles of the Senior Coordinator (Accounts) will be as follows:
· Oversee the effective running of financial operations ensuring compliance with statutory requirements and organizational policies.
· Review and verify all financial transactions before payment and registration ensuring adherence to internal policies and compliance to national statutory laws, while overseeing the analysis of all Trial balances.
· Coordinate Financial Audits ensuring the timely submission of Audit information, compliance with audit requirements and timely implementation of audit recommendations.
· Ensure timely assembly of cash requests from different business units for submission to the regional office to enable adequate availability of cash resources necessary for country office operations.
· Lead the preparation of annual operational, personnel and capital budgets including the collection and feedback from relevant parties.
· Work closely with IT team to oversee effective operation of financial module in Agresso ensuring that all financial transactions are properly registered and any discrepancies immediately escalated.
· Work closely with Finance team in the Regional Office, administrative, and HR teams ensuring accurate financial information is collated and reported in a timely and effective manner.
· Ensure accurate accounting registration, analysis, and reporting while adhering to internal control mechanisms.
· Supervise, motivate, empower, appraise and build the capacity of finance team in line with Human Resource and Finance Procedures.
· Scan the national environment for risk indicators, alert regional office with proposed possible mitigation measures
· Establish a robust working collaboration with relevant statutory agencies, banks, and project partners to ensure smooth and efficient operations
Qualifications and competencies
· University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field
· Accounting certification e.g CPA, ACCA, CIMA
· At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an international organization including budgeting, accounting guidelines and financial management of projects
· Strong knowledge of accounting and budgeting practices and procedures relevant to not-for-profit organizations and knowledge of IFRS
· High level of computer skills, ability to handle complex financial and budgeting systems including excellent knowledge of Excel and ERP systems
· Strong proficiency of the English language, both written and spoken
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with other national and cultural backgrounds and a strong client service orientation
· Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills with a high degree of integrity and transparency
· Supervisory skills with ability to mentor staff
Terms and conditions:
This is a locally recruited position and all benefits are denominated and paid in Ugandan Shillings. The Alliance Bioversity CIAT remuneration package includes a competitive salary, leave provisions and medical insurance. The initial contract will be for a period of 1 year, subject to a probationary period of 6 months and is renewable subject to availability of funds, a successful probation period and high performance throughout the implementation of the project.