Senior Director, Global Education
World Learning , Washington, United States
The Senior Director of Global Education will lead a dynamic technical team to design and implement innovative and high-impact programs to improve learning outcomes and strengthen civic engagement and employment outcomes for youth. The Senior Director will drive the development and execution of the business development strategy through technically-sound project design and proposal development from USG and non-USG sources. The Senior Director will also lead provision of technical assistance and support learning agendas for projects in education, workforce development, and civic engagement, and TESOL. The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience in working through and with host government counterparts, non-profit and private sector partners, as well as USAID and other donors to advance sustainable and inclusive solutions. The candidate will also have especially deep expertise in one or more technical area including: education systems strengthening, pre-service or in-service teacher development, system-level applications of social and emotional learning, gender equity and inclusion, positive youth development, or in curriculum, materials, and formative assessment development. To be successful in this role, the candidate will need to demonstrate a commitment to purposeful innovation, collaborative approach to business development, and demonstrate a strong track record in proposal writing, design and development resulting in new awards. The candidate will also lead in developing impactful partnerships, and network cultivation.
- Define annual business development strategy for unit portfolio that is based on technical, donor, and geographic priorities and is aligned with sectoral strengths and in coordination with the Program Management and Implementation Unit; Lead execution of the strategy and provide oversight and support to Technical Specialists to execute business development strategy for their respective practice areas.
- Identify and analyze new business opportunities to expand the Global Education practice area. Collaborate with AVP for Global Programs and other senior leaders across the organization to prioritize and select opportunities; Present business opportunities at weekly bid board meetings.
- Lead program design and proposal development process for high priority opportunities; including advanced positioning, desk research; travel to assess needs and co-design; partnership formation; partner cultivation and coordination; proposal writing, reviewing and giving/receiving constructive feedback on proposals.
- Leverage insights and experience of colleagues across the organization to ensure program design brings the full strength of World Learning’s experience.
- Stay abreast of and advise colleagues across World Learning on donor trends or effective approaches in global education and integrated youth development and help ensure recent learnings are applied to proposal design, competitive bids, and analyze how teams can apply lessons learned.
- Serve as technical specialist/advisor on select programs: ensure overall technical quality of assigned projects by collaborating with and providing guidance and support to in-country leaders and specialists; in coordination with the Project Management Team, effectively manage the technical work of staff and global consultants, track overall program progress, achievement of deliverables, and technically-sound reporting; ensure support to in-country team, consultants and partners; meet donor expectations.
- Provide technical support in the development of technical deliverables, studies, policy briefs, and other thought leadership products related to global education interventions and the scalability and sustainability of programs across World Learning’s education portfolio;
- With support from Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL), lead development of a research and learning agenda for education that integrates quantitative and qualitative research, synthesis and analysis, dissemination, and use of new knowledge to improve program outcomes and contribute to measuring, analyzing data, and decision making in support of higher-level organizational education goals and objectives;
- Provide oversight to technical leads in the development of research and learning agendas for workforce development and civic engagement and encourage a shared understanding of the synergies between agendas; and
- Create, facilitate, encourage opportunities for staff to share technical achievements and lessons learned across the organization.
Thought Leadership & Outreach (embedded in Program Development & Implementation)
- Strategically interact with key donor staff and host country stakeholders to influence new programming decisions and raise World Learning’s profile.
- Position organization externally as an effective partner and thought leader for innovative ideas and programs; Actively seek opportunities to represent World Learning as a thought leader on panels at conferences, working groups, and other external engagements; Oversee development of compelling and engaging marketing and external engagement materials and events to share tools, lessons learned and program impact.
- Regularly debrief with Program and BD staff to reflect on and assess external engagement outcomes and strategize on opportunities to increase World Learning’s visibility.
- Cultivate a community among program staff working in the education space to share new ideas, tackle challenges, and generally advance World Learning’s ability learn, reflect, plan, and apply new understandings and skills to improve program design and impact.
- Participate in internal working groups, as assigned, and provide substantive recommendations to strengthen the impact of our programs and organization.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Supervise a team of technical specialists, each with specifically assigned BD and project deliverables.
- Establish and operationalize a unified vision for technical assistance delivery in line with the organization mission and values.
- Supervise proposals led by other technical specialists and ensure quality and alignment with technical strategy.
- Create a cohesive collaborative team environment.
- Monitor staff performance and serve as a mentor for staff.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- 12+ years of experience designing and implementing USAID-funded education and positive youth development programs, particularly in developing or transitioning countries.
- Strong understanding of USAID education and youth policies and best practices is essential.
- Proven success winning large USAID awards.
- Proven ability to lead a team, delegate and make decisions.
- Deep expertise in proposal conceptualization, design, development, and technical writing.
- Strong understanding of effective monitoring and evaluation for education programming; experience leading development of M&E Plans, Learning Agendas, and program performance and/or impact studies. Understanding of appropriate methodologies for M&E as well as research/learning activities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time-management skills, especially when facing tight deadlines.
- Strong initiative, interpersonal and intercultural skills and the ability to coordinate people and processes in a complex, multi-cultural context.
- Commitment to inclusive programming that values full participation of stakeholders regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, race, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Demonstrated experience with inclusive programming is required.
- Ability to travel internationally (up to 30% each year) is essential, sometimes with short notice and to sensitive environments