Senior Project Officer - Land Rights
ZOA , Uganda
Position **: Senior Project Officer - Land Rights (for Nationals only)**
Starting date **: February 2021**
Duty station **: Arua/Terego, Uriama Sub County**
Reports to **: Programme Coordinator**
Date of posting **: 18th January 2021**
We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a:
Senior Project Officer - Land Rights
The Senior Project Officer, with support from the Project Coordinator, is responsible for the day to day planning, and implementation of activities under the Land rights project assigned to him/her. The goal of the project is to improve Land Governance for Refugee Host Communities in Terego District.
The Senior Project Officer (Land Rights) will be directly involved in the implementation of the project activities, especially supporting awareness raising/sensitization at district, sub-county and village levels.
Tasks, responsibilities, results
- Implements project activities in line with the workplan to achieve optimal project outputs and outcomes in line with ZOA/donor procedures and targets;
- Supports possible community volunteers in day to day implementation;
- Accounts timely for executed project activities in line with and according to relevant ZOA policies and guidelines;
- Ensures project outputs are consistent with project proposals, log frames and in line with quality standards and country policies;
- Oversees and ensures implementation is in line with standards and policies of both ZOA and government of Uganda;
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor in line with the project.
- Provide inputs to implementation plans and activity/monthly reports;
- Identify, document lessons learned and best practices;
- Prepare and submit well written success stories;
- Contribute to project reports or implementation plans as required by supervisor;
- Collect monitoring data according to ZOA’s systems and activities in the project;
- Actively participate in (technical) working groups and coordination meetings.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Degree or Diploma in Law, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Land Management, SWASA and any related fields;
- At least 2 – 3 years of successful experience in a similar position implementing related projects;
- Excellent facilitation, communication skills and writing ability;
- Understanding of the local context, culture, and language(s);
- Experience with implementing projects funded by institutional donors is an added advantage;
- Proven experience working in refugee context is a MUST;
- Having worked in a project in collaboration with a partner is an added advantage;
- Excellent spoken and written command of English.
- Good communication, writing and facilitation skills;
- Innovative, creative and enthusiastic;
- Good computer skills: Ms Excel and Ms Word;
- Self-motivator, able to work with limited supervision;
- Ability to drive a motorcycle with valid driving/riding license is a MUST.
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Able to work under pressures and meet deadlines;
- Able to work in a sometimes fluid and insecure environment;
- Aims to integrate and reflect Christian values in relief and rehabilitation work.